Part XIII (new)

They continued on to Harrods where they left the children in the care of a pair of harried shop assistants while they went to explore the Women's Apparel section of the department store. It wasn't long before they were in the fitting area, Romana trying on some of everything whilst Jordie demurred on account of sore feet. Her feet were sore, yes, but it wasn't anything debilitating. Clothing shopping was no more her métier than cooking. In any case, when Romana was putting on theatrics, Jordie preferred to be watching.

"My mother always said I should dress to accentuate my 'feminine wiles.'" Romana turned to display a flowered calot hat pinned to the victory rolls in her red hair. "What about this one?"

"Pretty but I wouldn't like it for me."

"Nor do I." Romana began pulling out the hatpins. "My mother would adore it." She returned the hat to a shelf to be retrieved by a shop assistant. She surveyed the rack of clothes awaiting her. "Time for something else, I think." She carried a garment off to the fitting room.

Romana reappeared in a hunter green cocktail dress with a slender patent leather belt to emphasize the natural dip of her waist. The flare of the skirt ended just below her knees, drawing a road map to stocking-less calves and well-turned ankles. The dress's sweetheart neckline showcased the tanned column of her throat and the dip between her collarbones. Her glittering pendant spangled there, star-like, and she shone.

Romana spun in front of the mirror, scrutinizing her reflection from every angle with a critical eye. "I don't know."

"You'll make Edgar sorry he thought to look elsewhere."

Romana's eyes flitted from Jordie's to anyplace else. She picked an errant hair from the bodice of her dress. Finally, she confided, "It isn't Edgar's attention I'm after."

"Oh?" Jordie sat on her hands to keep from crossing her arms in front of her. Only an idiot would think Romana would be on her own for long. Edgar could feast on his regrets. "Someone new stepped onto the field?"

Romana smoothed her hands over her figure, lips stretched in a frown. "No one I stand a chance with."

"Have you asked?"

"Haven't had to. When someone wants you, you know. You also know when they don't." Jordie was split between the urge to celebrate and the impulse to berate this person into the ground for not knowing better. How could anyone not want Romana when Jordie wanted her more each day?

"You should take your chances. At worst, at least that way, you'll know where you stand."

"You think?" Jordie smiled wanly in confirmation. "No, you're absolutely right. I know you're right."

"It's been known to happen."

"Every now and then."

Jordie reached into a small gift bag she'd concealed behind the settee she was sat on to retrieve a delicate crystal bottle of perfume. She repressed her nervous penchant for rambling to announce herself.

"If you're going to go stealing hearts, you're going to need new perfume."

Romana smiled, something tremulous and eager flitting over her expression.

"Jordie..."

"No, no, I won't hear any excuses."

Romana offered her hands. Jordie applied a tasteful spritz to each of Romana's wrists and proceeded to rub them together. The perfume warmed and bloomed on Romana's skin, pervading their corner of the fitting suite in a cloud of bold fragrance.

"The perfume attendant ambushed me with that on the way in. It made me think of you." She lifted Romana's hands to her nose to breathe in her scent. Perfect. "I think you'll enjoy it."