Chapter 38

The next Sunday, Lily and Alice went back to the library to continue studying, meanwhile Jenna and Marlene proceeded towards the Quidditch pitch for the match between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff.

"I'm telling you," Marlene started as they walked outside, "Ravenclaw always plays on strategies. They will easily beat Hufflepuff."

"You're underestimating the Hufflepuffs, Mar," said Jenna. "They're going to win this one, if you're asking me."

"Good thing that I'm not asking you, then," Marlene grinned.

"Oi!" Jenna and Marlene turned around as someone called after them, only to see James and Sirius walking towards them with Peter following them right behind.

"Are you going to see the match, too?" James asked, catching up with the two girls.

"No, we're going for a tea party with Filch," Jenna said sarcastically, grinning.

"Why are you talking like an idiot?" said James.

"How else are you going to understand me?"

"Ugh, please stop," Marlene groaned in frustration. "Where is your other quarter, anyway? Remus, I mean."

Peter went pale quickly, looking away awkwardly. But boasting with confidence, James said, "He's visiting his mother."

"She's sick again," Sirius continued fervently.

Jenna knew exactly what this meant and by the thought, her heart gave a painful lurch.

"Well, let's go, then," said Jenna, taking a hold on Marlene's sleeve and dragging her along to prevent her from asking any more questions.

The five of them went on walking towards the Quidditch pitch as they made guesses all the way as to which house was going to win the upcoming match.

When they reached the stands, Marlene took the first seat and Jenna sat next to her, and immediately, the two girls started arguing again about Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw.

"Hufflepuff has got an amazing chaser," said Jenna. "And as much as I hate to admit it, Jones really is a great captain and player."

"Now why would you hate to admit it?" Marlene asked with a smirk. "Does it have anything to do with the friend of the famous immature-arrogant-toe-rag?"

"What? No!" Jenna hissed. "And keep it down, will you!?"

The girls were so busy arguing, that they didn't notice when Sirius walked forward to take the seat next to Jenna, but James stopped him by grabbing his arm.

"What do you think you're doing?" James raised a brow.

"Sitting?" said Sirius with an angry scoff.

"Yeah, I don't think so," James whispered. "Not there."

"Why!?"

"Because of the five-inches-rule, that's why!" James grinned. "Now move your fat arse, Padfoot."

Mumbling angrily to himself, Sirius moved aside so James could sit next to her sister and Sirius sat between him and Peter, who was watching with amusement.

"Why does the five-inches-rule only apply to me!?" Sirius hissed at James, folding his arms stubbornly. "Don't you trust me with your sister?"

"No," James answered simply with a smirk.

***

The sound of cheers erupted the stadium as the Hufflepuffs won the match and their seeker got the Golden Snitch.

     "YES!" Marlene cried out in happiness. "I told you those lil Puffs had it in them!"

     "But you said—"

     "—Oh, I'm starving!" Jenna was trying to say, but Marlene cut her off, and with that, she quickened her pace and walked away, leaving Jenna with the three boys to go to the Great Hall.

     But instead of following Marlene, she waited a few seconds for the three laughing boys to catch up with her and asked, "Where is Remus? Does he go to hospital wing on the days that he... you know?"

     "Yeah," James nodded and continued in a whisper, "He goes there the mornings of the full moon and before transformation, Madam Pomfrey takes him to the Shrieking Shack."

     "I think I'll go and visit him now," said Jenna,.

     "Why?" Sirius asked suddenly, causing all their heads to turn on him.

     "That's actually a good idea," said James, ignoring Sirius. "We can tell him how the match went. That might cheer him up."

     "Ooh, good idea, Prongs!" Peter clapped his hands together excitedly. "Let's all go and visit Moony!"

     As much as Jenna wanted to talk to Remus alone, she didn't protest and agreed, walking with the boys towards the hospital wing.

But they were halfway there that Sirius came to a halt, cursing under his breath as he searched his pockets.

"What's wrong, Padfoot?" Peter asked worriedly, as they stood at the top of the staircase.

"Ugh," Sirius huffed. "I think I left my wand back in the stands."

"How? I thought your wand was attached to you," said James with a smirk and by that, Jenna punched him on the arm. "Ouch!"

"Just let's go get it," said Sirius. "We'll go to the hospital wing afterwards."

"But — the stairs — too many..." James mumbled, looking miserably down the many staircases that they had already climbed.

"Fine," Sirius rolled his eyes. "I'll join you guys later."

Turning around, Sirius went all the way back, cursing his luck as he went. But he stopped when he saw Lily along the way.

"Hey, Evans," he grinned. "Going to see James and finally declaring your love to him?"

But furiously, Lily walked forward and smacked Sirius on the head.

"Ow!" Sirius grimaced. "Don't you injure James enough? Now me? What was that for!?"

"For playing my friend, that's what!" said Lily angrily. "We need to talk. Now."