9. gummy bears and exes

(Oliver's tattoo)

|9.| gummy bears and exes

"So... Are you ready for the Psychology test next Wednesday?" I asked conversationally asked I sat myself beside Oliver on the seventh bleacher from the bottom at the football game that evening. The wind was picking up harshly and unpredictably as I stuffed my hands in my pockets, my phone vibrating as I clutched my hand around it, it was no doubt January texting about this 'date'.

Clenching my teeth when another gust of wind hit me, I shivered. It was fucking October and I made the stupid decision of leaving my hoodie on my bed.

My hands were stuffed in the large pockets of my sweatpants as I glared holes down in Sid's braided head that sat in front of me at chest level, her eyes staring at the field down below.

I know she was feeling the burn, well figuratively considering the fact that it was well around 50 degrees. She was warm though if the way her ears turned red when Luca looked over at her had anything to say about it, she was nervous.

And I was freezing.

Oliver shrugged, the fabric of his flannel rubbing up against my bare shoulder, creating a warmth that somehow made me jealous of his sensible clothing choice, "Yeah, I guess," he muttered, his hand coming up to scratch the side of his jaw, his earrings and lip ring gleaming as he turned his head, before resting his hand on his knee.

He didn't understand how fucking hot that was.

"Hey, are you c-cold?" I'd heard Luca ask as I tried to focus on something other than Oliver. I could hear the hesitation in Luca's words as he turned his face sheepishly towards Sidney.

Well yeah, I'm fucking freezing.

"A little but not really," she answered awkwardly as she closed her hands in between thin legging clad thighs, obviously lying. Sidney wasn't one to ask for something and you could tell that she wasn't one for chivalry either.

Sneaking glance at Oliver, I envied his flannel... Not because it got to touch his skin but because it held warmth, something so unattainable to me.

"Here..." I heard Luca's timid voice as he turned towards Sid and held out his hoodie, smiling slightly, Sid reluctantly grabbing it and murmuring a quick 'thanks' as she chewed on her lip, sliding it on her body, it fitting her perfectly with an exception of the sleeves being a little too long.

And I knew that Oliver wouldn't be one to do anything as nice as that, especially when I basically begged him for this 'date' and he'd basically insulted me on numerous levels during that process.

"What number is Jackson?" Sid asked, trying to sound casual as she turned around to my seething face. I was glaring at the way she stuffed her hands in the pockets of that jacket.

"32."

I must've sounded angry because when Sid nodded and turned, I'd heard her murmur something about PMS and I could faintly hear Oliver scooting away from me on the metal bleacher.

Rolling my eyes, I focused more on the game and not the early effects of hypothermia as I kept my eye out for my brother.

Number 32 wasn't easy to find but after some careful deliberation and wrongful picking of other numbers that slightly resembled 32, I sighed and closed my eyes. Blocking out anything, I tried to remember why exactly I'd asked him to the game instead of just going out for pizza or something.

My brother.

And that was when I felt a tapping on my shoulder, "Hey, uh, Emerson?"

Opening my eyes, I looked over at Oliver before he motioned behind him to the school building that was around that area.