Chapter Fifteen

"Oy! Potter!"

Harry looked up to see Marcus Flint standing over him, frowning. Draco was hovering behind the hulking sixth year, looking embarrassed and indignant.

"Yes, Marcus?" Harry asked sweetly. Behind him, Neville gave Draco a curious look.

"Malfoy here-" Marcus cast the blond an angry look "-has gotten himself banned from Quidditch for the rest of the year. I need a Seeker. You up for it?"

"Are you asking me because you want to beat Gryffindor," Harry mused, "or because I'm a good Seeker?"

"Both," Marcus said bluntly.

"Good answer," Harry said dryly. Neville chuckled. "I'll do it. Draco, sit," he added. Draco instantly plopped into the chair beside Neville's. "You're dismissed, Marcus."

The large boy bowed slightly before walking off.

The Slytherins, since discovering Harry was the Lord and Heir of Hogwarts, had had mixed reactions. For the most part, they treated him with respect and awe. Some of them were furious that 'The Boy Who Lived' now had control over them. Marcus had been one of the few that treated him with a sort of blunt friendliness, except when he gave a direct order.

"Draco," Harry said lazily, amused, "how did you get banned from the match?"

"I was looking around Myrtle's bathroom," Draco replied. "It's just down the hall from where they found that stupid cat. The Prefect Weasley caught me and told a teacher he'd found me trying to drag a girl into it-" Harry felt a flash of anger "-so I've got a month of detentions with Filch and I'm banned from Quidditch for the rest of the year."

"Did anyone else see you going into the bathroom?" Harry asked.

"The portraits, probably, but-" He broke off when Harry held up a hand and closed his eyes.

Sir Redundant, Harry thought, contacting one of the portraits in that hallway.

"No, Lady Harry?" came an amused voice. Harry opened his eyes to see Sir Redundant standing in the portrait of Merlin's dog.

"Did you see Draco entering Myrtle's bathroom?" Harry asked.

"I didn't," Sir Redundant replied.

Harry, knowing Sir Redundant had been cursed to tell the opposite of what he meant, said, "Please tell Professor McGonagall that Draco did not try to drag a girl into the bathroom."

"I won't, Lady Harry," Sir Redundant replied with a nod.

"Who the heck was that?" Draco asked, looking both amused and appalled.

"Sir Edric Redundant," Harry said, chuckling. "He was cursed in life to always say the opposite of what he actually means to say, and the curse passed to his portraits. I like him; he's cheerful and very helpful."

Neville laughed. "You should hear his jokes. Since he says the opposite of what he means-" Draco laughed, interrupting him.

"Did you find any clues?" said Harry warmly, and Draco jumped, blushing.

"Yeah, I did, but it didn't make any sense," Draco responded. "I saw a whole bunch of spiders climbing out the window and heading in the direction of the Forbidden Forest."

"Fleeing spiders," Harry mused, closing his book. What snake was the enemy of all spiders? He would ask Tom later.

------------

On Saturday morning, Harry, Fred, and George went down to the pitch with Adrian Pucey, Miles Bletchley, Marcus, and Theodore Nott. Adrian and Miles were arguing about Quidditch teams; Theo had a book inches from his nose; Marcus was muttering strategy to himself; Fred and George were whispering about ⎯ well, Harry didn't want to know.