-x. in kahoots

❛ Down cottage roads ❜

Down cottage roads

Claire woke up at a reasonable time that morning and left the dormitory before the others. She mostly wanted to get an early start at the bagels before everyone else, but that was ruined when a voice called her name from behind her. She turned and saw Lily approaching her, looking as bossy as ever. She halted in front of her and smiled sarcastically.

"Where are you off to in such a rush?" The girl asked.

"I'm not in a rush and breakfast. Literally where else?"

"Oh, right I forgot, you never stop eating," Evans remembered. Claire looked at her in half pity and half amused.

"It's okay, Lily. Not everyone has a fast metabolism--"

"Oh, there you are," someone said behind the redhead. They both glanced over her shoulder and saw James. He walked past Lily and wrapped his arm around Claire's waist. He turned both of them away from Evans and didn't even acknowledge her. It even surprised Claire how well he did this. They walked off with James rambling on about missing her so much last night.

As soon as they turned the corner, Claire pried James' hand off of her waist and stepped aside, creating space between the two. She missed the frown he sent her.

"Very good performance," Claire commented.

"It was nothing. But I did do good, didn't I?" He grinned. Claire nodded and patted him on the back.

Oh, that one hurt, didn't it? The small voice in her head taunted.

They arrived in the Great Hall and parted ways when they reached Claire's friends. Claire sat down and although they had beat her to the bagels, they seemed quite proud of something. Then Hannah sighed.

"What?" Claire huffed.

"Your tie. Where is it?" Hannah questioned. Riley looked at the girl disapprovingly. "You remember what Minnie said."

"And? I'm sure she'd love to spend an extra hour with Moi," Claire insisted. "And you guys looked so happy for a second. Where's that?"

"Oh boy," Hannah muttered, ducking her head down in her bowl of porridge. The other two stopped their bickering much like lots of others.

Lucius Malfoy walked into the Great Hall sporting lime green hair. Don't ask how the three got the dye in his shampoo, they don't quite remember either. So, as people laughed and stared, the trio at fault just resumed with their regular conversation, ignoring the boy glaring daggers at everything around him.

The daily post came flying into the Great Hall which took some of the attention off of the hilarious sight. A familiar owl quickly dropped a letter in front of Claire and zoomed off with the others, not even stopping to wait for a pat on the head or something. In Claire's grandmother's familiar handwriting, she read her name on the envelope. She tore it open and began to read.

Dear Claire,

Now, I would like to know what in the world made you think you could keep something so amazing from me. You have a boyfriend? I thought we had a no secrets rule. Do not ask how I found out, that's not for you to know. What you should know, however, is that your grandfather isn't thrilled. He won't stop talking about this James boy. I hope you're prepared for Christmas because that's going to be worse than the O.W.L.s. Good luck with stressing over that. I love you. Answer this time, please.

- Gran

Claire stared at the letter wide-eyed and confused. She looked up at her friends who stared at her strangely. Claire gave them the letter and they both read it puzzled.

"You didn't tell her?" Hannah questioned. Claire shook her head no.

"Oh, Claire, was that from your grandmother?" McGonagall asked, walking past them on her way out the Great Hall.

"Mhm," Claire nodded, quickly realizing what was happening. "You told her, didn't you?"

"I haven't a clue what you're talking about," McGonagall spoke, exiting the hall quickly. Claire turned to face her friends, wide-eyed.

"You think that's how she found out about the stink bombs in fourth year?" Riley said, that being the only thing she was concerned about.