Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Angela’s POV

I heard the front door close but the three of us didn’t move.  I was shocked, playing my words I had told my parents back in my head, thinking I was more furious than I had thought.  I couldn’t believe my parents, the way they had acted and trying to downgrade the situation, trying to force Amanda, but mostly I was surprised with Derrick.

All the years we had been together, he had never said anything close to that to my parents, more so to my father. 

I was about to lose control of emotions and he stepped in.  I know it was more for Amanda than for myself but that’s what had me more surprised.

I felt my arm vibrate so I turned and saw Amanda’s big eyes staring back at me.

‘Baby…Amanda, its ok.  They’re gone.’ I said to her, rubbing her back.

Never taking my eyes off of her, ‘Derrick can you get me a blanket please?’ I asked him, making sure to remain calm.

I heard him say, ‘Yeah.’ And he was gone but seconds later he was back and had a big black comforter with him.

‘Got it.’ He said.  I smiled remembering I saw it on his bed when Amanda and I were looking at the rooms

He helped me put it on our girl and I kept rubbed her back.  Telling her it was okay and that we were safe.

No one had raised their voice since Jesse so I knew she was probably remembering moments from there.

‘Derrick, do you have anymore Care Bears or any kind of cartoon on your TV?’ I asked him.

‘I think so…want me to put one on?’ he asked, confused.

I smiled, ‘Yeah please, it’s going to help, make her focus on something else rather than memories.’ I said to him.

He got my message, telling him to hurry because I didn’t want her to remember about that, she needed something else, to get distracted.

I heard the end of the cartoon song ‘Care Bears countdown 5, 4, 3, 2, 1’ I sang with the TV.  I had her pressed a little closer to me and we just rocked a little.

I could feel Derrick’s eyes on me so I looked up, ‘What?’ I asked.

‘You still know the song?’ he asked surprised.

‘Not all of it, but bits and pieces.’ I answered him smiling.  When I saw him roll his eyes I laughed.

A few minutes after the cartoon had started, her shaking had slowed down.  I could feel her heart still beating fast but was slowing down and so was her breathing.