s e v e n

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

s e v e n

She lingers in the empty dining room, slumped in her chair – not at all like the poise and grace a Queen should hold, but Adah could not care less. She wanted to sulk a little about the circumstances placed upon her. She wanted to sulk that she was mated to the King of all males. He was difficult in every sense. She has no idea on how to approach him. How would they even share a life together?

Her eyes mutely watch the table being cleared, before catching a figure walk in from the main archway.

Her form gets up, swivelling around to face the gamma, arms crossed firmly before her. Her dark brown eyes are narrowed, and sharp with no warmth in them as she judges this male. The wolf within her sniffs at him suspiciously. He was powerful, yet not nearly as intimidating as Uriah could be, or as the King was every moment. His aura was of a normal Alpha, and Adah's wolf didn't bow to Alpha's. He was a touch of normality in the palace.

Adah could sense a little shyness adorning him. He wasn't the largest male, his form quite lean, and he was a tad shorter than her. His skin was warm, and his hair a chestnut brown with an underlying glimmer of red. He wore a simple tee and sweats, with a nervous expression on his face.

Adah normally wouldn't speak to this male at all first, keeping quiet was her thing. But the wolf was clearly nervous, and in some way that eased her. Talking to someone who was intimidated or nervous was easier. She sighs, clearing her throat.

"Jayden, right?" Adah speaks first her tone low and non-threatening, to put the male out of his misery. He nods, features softening as he calms, watching the fierce female before him, her dark brows furrowed.

"Yeah. King Micajah ordered that I should give you a tour of the palace, my majesty. If that is okay with you," he gives a respectful nod, voice wavering a little. Adah rolls her eyes at the way she is addressed, lashes long.

"It's Adah. Don't call me anything else," tone subtle as she heads towards the male, a hand beckoning him to lead the way.

Jayden becomes more relaxed as the next few hours go by, as they wander the grounds of the palace. Adah made sure to calm the skittish wolf, by asking a lot of questions about both the wolf and the palace. She felt bad about him being nervous, so went out of her way to resolve it. The male, like Micajah and Uriah, too had recently acquired his royal gamma position. He had been preparing for this role his entire life and lived on palace grounds his entire life too.

The interior of the palace – though stunning- was very much the same across most of it, so Adah had asked to see what other properties were on the grounds. After acquiring a car to make their way around, they set off. The grounds were massive, with acres and acres of land, with a packhouse and many other utilities.

Over the entire country, there were a total of 30 packs. All 30 packs were a part of the royal kingdom – which Micajah lead.

The Alpha King looked over one pack of his own too – the highest ranked pack. Because of this, the palace grounds accommodated many wolves that resided in the King's pack. It wasn't the largest pack, with around 500 members, but each member was highly regarded, and were the best warriors and healers across the country.

So, just the way Micajah was an Alpha to his pack, and a King to the Kingdom, Adah would be a Luna to this pack, and the Queen to the Kingdom.

After having this be reiterated by Jayden, her lips purse, her heart heavy with the responsibility. Her doubt creeps in – she wasn't made for the role, truly speaking. The bond within her sizzles, straying her away from such thoughts.

By the time they got back to the main palace, it had hit noon. When they walk into the lobby, two males and a female stand there, awaiting.

"Adah. These are your personal guards," Adah raises a brow at Jayden, her eyes dark. Jayden blushes shyly, a hand rubbing the nape of his neck awkwardly. Adah vaguely remembered something about a personal guard team being mentioned, but she didn't actually expect it to happen.

"I wouldn't worry too much about them. Only one of them will be with you, and will be nothing but a silent, second shadow. You will not even notice them. And they only accompany when you are not in this palace, and when the King, Uriah and myself cannot be with you," he nods at her.

"You are our Queen, and just as the King, your safety isn't something we can dwindle upon," he explains further. Adah's face remains expressionless, eyes drawing to the wolves before her.

"This is Faia, Orion and Lupus," he names the wolves. Adah nods in greeting at the wolves – who were fierce, strong and tall, honoured to be entrusted with the position of protecting their queen- before turning to the gamma.

"My wolf needs a run," her tone isn't menacing, simply firm. She had asked for a run since early morning, and there was only so much she could repress her wolf. Jayden nods with pink features.

"I have to go meet with Uriah. Lupus can go with you," and Jayden points out Lupus – a big burly wolf, with sandy hair- before waving goodbye and leaving.

Jayden was right. Lupus was nothing but a silent shadow. Adah did not even see him throughout her run – he kept his distance- and after a while completely forgot about him. She then realised that of course, personal guards for the royals would be of such a skilled and trained level – they wouldn't be entrusted otherwise.

This run, was most likely the best run she and her wolf have ever experienced. New grounds to explore were always entraining and exciting, but these were the palace grounds. The woods held something unique, something exquisite. The air was cold and brisk – Adah loved feeling the wind slap across her face, the cold tinge numbing her features. The air felt fresh and clean, and the woods weren't muddy or decaying in the winter – it was thriving, full of life.

Adah really needed this run, she and her wolf had experienced so much within the span of a single day – going from mateless to mated, from nothing to a Queen, to being encouraged by the bond- they had to come to terms with it. A run gave that perfect opportunity. She ran long, and as hard as her hind legs would allow it.

After her run, she ate lunch alone. Lupus wasn't needed when she was in the palace, and had left the moment she stepped inside, giving her the space, she needs. Lunch was delightful – tacos with turkey, guacamole and a mix of different beans tossed in seasoning. Food was something Adah always cherished, especially as her belly was never full as a small pup. She worked her way up and hard in her old pack to make sure her belly was always full. Food was Adah's home, her comfort.

She had spent the next hour or so, in her room. She wasn't really sure how she'd fare wandering an empty palace, and her sense of direction wasn't the best – she didn't need the stress of being lost in this maze. Her focus fell onto a book on the bed – the same book Micajah was reading the first night they spent together. It wasn't particularly interesting to her, but she had nothing else to do either.

The sky was beginning to lull into darkness, a tinge of navy coveting it.

A knock on her door interrupts her. Her brows furrow before padding over to open it.

"Uriah. Jayden," her tone is clipped, her gaze shifting down to her feet. She was not exactly sure what they needed from her.

Uriah is tall, a grin planted on his face, his dark kinky curls catching light, and glossy. Jayden has a soft smile, cheeks a hue of pink, hands shoved into his pockets and completely avoiding her gaze. Adah frowns, before realising she's only wearing a hoodie – she had showered and changed after shifting back into her human form.

"Good day?" Uriah asks, tone warm and cheeky. Adah nods, lips pursed, eyes watching.

"Good. Micajah is having a meeting with some of our generals, and high warriors of our pack. He wishes you to be there, to conduct your duty for this pack," Uriah smiles, and Adah's expression falters.

A/N - i don't know how well this resonates with the book. we'll see.