Chapter 7: Blindsiding (Day 2) Edited

You woke up in a place darker than the souls surrounding you. Was it your room? Above you was nothing. Beside you was nothing. But you were strangely cold. Looking to your right, you felt your mind fill with the perplexity of a curious wave. The curtains that lined the window were laying flat and the glass behind them was still- so still that everything seemed too surreal. Colors dulled from your stained walls and the dark light falling through the window began to disappear as you thought about why the world didn't seem so beautiful until it was about to be taken away.

And as soon as your eyes darted to your other side, they fell upon a sleeping monster holding on to your torso. Jeff was snuggled up to your side as if he was guarding property. A chestnut streak of hair laid across his forehead and moved slightly with his slow breaths. Immediately, you scrambled off the mattress and felt your back hit the floor. You groaned and allowed your dizzy head to spin in circles.

"Are you okay?"

The face looking down at you was caring and a complete facade. Eyes the color of an ocean tried to fool you again by sending waves to swim with the moon, but you knew better than to believe in a lie. Everything going on was a fallacy created by an upper power that wanted you dead. Or just confused.

"I think," you groaned, feeling the pain in your back somehow growing.

"Hey, I'm sorry about earlier," the monster whispered. "I don't know what happened."

Well... What did happen?

It was almost like your mind was empty. Like everything you ever knew was wiped away by the silence before the storm. Your memories were muffled, but distant, and your senses were so tense. Nothing you told your body to do could relax the dying urge in your legs to flee. A restless rat was running through your body and didn't plan on giving up on the one escape route it sought to keep. If it had, you would've already parted ways with that house and that situation.

"I'm trapped," you said. "I'm completely and utterly trapped."

"I wouldn't put it that way-"

"It's not fair!" you exclaimed.

Sadness rained from your glass and fancied the fate that stood behind you. Like a shadow-man, everything in the future was starting to be definite. You could see a million paths of red light collide into one giant line of wool, and you knew that the end was coming soon. Someone would be cutting that string, tearing it apart limb by limb until all hope and prosperity was gone.

"Here."

A pair of arms lifted you off the ground and helped your feet find balance. A beautiful symphony played in your ears as birds started chirping. And the trees started swaying just as the clouds made way for the sun that would be your gangway onto a newfound adventure between life and freedom. Wouldn't that be nice? Wouldn't it be nice to be granted a happy ending no matter which path you took?

Jeff locked his eyes with yours and muttered, "I have a proposition."

And what would that be?

He sighed and explained, "I can make everything go back to normal. I can make it all easier for you."

How peculiar of a statement.

"Just say the word and I'll change it," he said.

You hardly understood what he meant. What was the price? What would you have to pay in order to cheat the person holding the strings? If everything was set up before the beginning, what type of person would it take to change that plan? Who is this guy? He was a lying madman. You had tried countless times to find an unlocked window or door ajar, but it was like he was always watching from the shadows at your hopeless attempts. He knew where you were going and what your plan was hours before you tried it.

"What?" you asked.

"You don't have to suffer anymore," he replied.

So now he admits to the unfair treatment he granted you with. At least he knew what he was doing. Someone that's clueless about the actions they don't control are clueless about the consequences of those actions. But this guy was doing everything intentionally. And you believed that he was planning on lying to you even more. Why would he if he was having so much fun in his head? He would never trick you into an early demise, would he?

You knew enough about him.

You then started to second-guess yourself.

Instead of waiting around for a better explanation, you slid your wrist out of his grasp and glanced over at your door.

Get out. Just run. Everything will be alright.

Jeff turned your head to look back at his and chuckled, "Were you listening? I know you've never been in love before. It's sad."

A million eyes lit up on the blackened walls and grew to a gigantic size. Each one started to tempt you with the words he previously said and more. Blinking and blinking, they flashed a strobe and sent your mind into a whirlpool. The stares turned hypnotic and beckoned you to listen. The screams and shouts of terror started to get louder until you couldn't take another second of it.

"You know you could always fall in love with me before you die," Jeff said.

And that's where it got really weird.

Was he just playing you? Did he really mean that with the touch of a word, he would be able to reverse all the agony and fear that he brought to the room and more? What if there was another layer to his speech? What if there was a deeper meaning to the alluring context he just spit out?

You kept yourself in an endless pool of questions. You honestly didn't know what to do. The night always fooled you into thinking with a clouded haze, but you couldn't even trick yourself into making a decision this time. The room was calming, due to the enormous silence that filled it. However, the edge that was stabbing your legs refused to go away as the temptation of escape was more binding than before. Realizing that you spent so much time doing absolutely nothing but wondering why you couldn't decipher the code, you shook your head and pierced through Jeff's stare.

"I don't even know what you're talking about," you said.

Your hand slipped from your side as you turned your back to face the demon that fancied you. A relieving sigh escaped your lips as you shut your tired eyes and let the absence of noise carry you on your mental journey to oblivion. Your cranium felt so, so heavy, as if there was a thick, black goo flooding your brain. It became extremely difficult to support the weight of the giant cinder block sitting atop your shoulders as the limpness in your neck made you uneasy.

"You will know," Jeff said.

And without further adieu, you felt the striking pain of metal hitting the back of your head.