Keefe and Sophie, Sitting In A Tree

it's been a crazy month, hasn't it?

so anyways, most of you wanted double updates twice a month, but with a shorter word count (which means i don't have as much work to do, so there's that!), but i hope you do realize that means even more cliffhangers, right?

oh well, i'm not the one who forced your decision, you brought this pain entirely upon yourselves. this chapter is still going to be a normal length, but starting next month you'll be getting double updates!

i still don't know if it's elven or elvin, so have fun watching me misspell that a billion times- someone help

~anna

Sophie:

Sophie:

I think that I actually might die from the sheer awkwardness of it all. Because that's totally possible, right? It would be the most embarrassing death in the course of elven history, but it's inescapable because Keefe's sitting right there across from me and we're very pointedly ignoring each other's gaze.

I was just having a perfectly normal, ordinary day (unless you count the alternate universe part, but otherwise perfectly normal), until Keefe asked me out in possibly the worst way I've ever heard. I mean, I agreed, but it could have been nicer. I don't know what I was expecting, since it's Keefe Sencen. I wasn't expecting to be asked out at all. Is it possible for elves to spontaneously combust due to a mixture of feelings and overthinking?

And now we're sitting here, barely 4 feet apart, and I can't think of a single thing to say.

("Hey, Keefe, you know how we're stuck here in this alternate universe where we're married? Well maybe I'd like to be married for real. Even though we're technically not even dating yet.")

I can't say that or I'll not only die from the awkwardness but also from soul-consuming mortification. And that would possibly be a worse way to go than getting dismembered by the Neverseen.

I can't believe that I'm thinking about getting killed by the Neverseen while I'm on a date with Keefe Sencen.

"So," says Keefe, looking like he's regretting opening his mouth at all. I wait patiently for him to finish until I realize that he's already finished talking and now he's waiting for me to say something.

"So," I reply, trying my hardest not to die from embarrassment. I didn't expect my first date to be like this. I didn't expect to have a first date at all. Especially not with Keefe.

"This is awkward," Keefe says, interrupting my very complicated and definitely not unnecessary thought process. I still can't bring myself to look him in the eyes.

"This is awkward," I agree, and I place my hands on the table in an effort not to fidget with them in my lap. Then I take my hands and fidget with them again, but on the table this time. Mission backfired, I guess. I can't stop thinking about the mess that I'm in. At least I'm not pulling out all of my remaining eyelashes.