Five years ago

For Kocho Shinobu the patience wasn't in the list of her virtues. As she was eating the bowl of strawberries she recalled the showdown against the strongest soldier of the demon army.

They survived thanks to the tenth pillar but the price was too high, he has been unconscious for nearly a week now, Shinobu hasn't done anything but stay at his side, she even refused to treat the wounds of other demon slayers, she left the healing of the corps to the other girls.

That evening, she tried her best to stay awake, it was hard to, more than once she went through restless nights to wait for his beloved Hiiro to wake up and embrace her.

She desires that most than anything. She prayed to the gods that Hiiro Kojima woke up soon. Even when Mitsuri, her love rival were to visit them with food bentous, they will have a nice chat and tea while both of them hoped for the night pillar to wake up.

"Please Hiiro-kun... wake up, soon..." she whispered before falling asleep beside the man she loved. She never looked at the skies that time, she could not see the evening star that shines so far.

When Shinobu Kocho eyes slowly opened themselves, the sun was shining bright and warm. Her amethyst eyes fought the sunlight while her hand blocked it.

"Did you had a nice nap?" The petite girl found herself resting besides a raven haired boy. He was definitely younger, he sixteen years old. Shinobu was speechless, there was no way he was Hiiro. "Or perhaps, a bad dream?"

Her cheeks became crimson when that stupid smile appeared on that face she loved so much.

"Hiiro-Kun?" Her voice was trembling, the boy was dumbfounded by her.

"Kun? Am I not your Onii-san anymore?" His face came close to hers, she felt the blood rush to her head. He was different now, he was not the Hiiro se knew he was younger and definently cuter than before. "Shinobu?"

"Uh..." his eyes were glowing while he expected the next words of the girl.

"Are you nervous about the final selection?" Words ran away from her lips, her eyes wide open. There's no way, no, there's no way... "You'll do it perfectly, everyone knows that. Even Kanae told you that."

She went into a deep silence, her head was a mess, she was still trying to get a coherent answer. This... this was five years ago!

Yes, indeed, the younger Hiiro, the final selection, all those were five years ago. That means she's thirteen years old!

"They are back." As the boy stood up, the girl noticed something: he did not carry Zangetsu yet. He had a normal nichirin blade, not the back blade he will carry five years from now. "Kanae and the others."

As Shinobu heard the name, her eyes began to tear up. Her eyes refused to believe, there was no way something like that could happen.

When the future insect pillar eyes spotted them her face was blank. Her hair was as long as Shinobu remembers, a gentle smile plastered on her face and those sweet eyes.

Kanae Kocho was alive, after all that time, she can see her sister again. A young Rengoku and a young Sanemi were walking besides her.

"Onee-chan..." she ran without thinking, the time stopped when threw herself into her older sister chest, tear began to flow like a stream as she held her sister tighter and tighter.

"Ara~. What's wrong Shinobu?" The eldest Kocho sister patted her sister head while trying to calm her down. "Did Hiiro-Kun did something to you?"

"What?!" The future tenth pillar exclaimed, he was surprised by the accusation. "I did nothing."