Chapter 12

-------------------> THE WIZENGAMOT TRIALS were held in the tenth level of the Ministry of Magic, somewhere deep in the dungeons

Severus was led into the smart-looking room and was immediately led to a chair in the centre of the room where he had been magically bound.

Albus Dumbledore had given him a small, encouraging smile before he took his place at the Chief Warlock chair. According to his knowledge, the Chief Warlock presided over the Court and delivered the final judgement based on the Wizengamot's decisions.

Slowly, the room started filling up.

Important-looking witches and wizards dressed in plum-coloured robes that had been embroidered with a silver letter W entered the room stiffly and took their seats towards the right of the prosector.

Severus counted forty nine seats (seven multiplied by seven was a very magically strong number). That was forty nine people who held his life in their hands. In case of a dead-lock (met when some members abstained from voting), the Chief Warlock had the casting vote which would settle the matters.

Witches and wizards continued entering the room. Some smirked at him as they entered, others gave him looks of pity and some down-right looked bluntly curious at him.

He could recognise some of the people that were to be his jurors.

The platinum-blonde hair and handsome face who was looking at him like he was dirt was without a single doubt Lucius Malfoy's father, Lord Abraxas Hyperion of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Malfoy.

He could recognise a man that looked strikingly similar to Thomas Nott as his father, Lord Nott.

A curious-looking man who looked to be the carbon copy of James Potter (or rather the vice versa) was Lord Charlus Potter.

He realised that about a third of the jurors had children who currently studied at Hogwarts, and who had no-doubt already informed them of the gossip.

The next pair to enter the Wizengamot was somebody he had hoped he could avoid. A greying, tall man with classically handsome features walked inside the room. Each step he took was pronounced and his presence practically demanded respect. A beautiful young girl hung off his arm, smiling calmly. The duo's startling grey eyes made them recognisable- Lord Arcturus Black and his granddaughter, Lyra.

The two gave him identical smirks with ever amused eyes before Lord Black took his seat with the jurors and Heiress Black took a seat that Dumbledore had told him was for the British youth-representative.

Severus mentally counted the amount of families the Black's had married into (within the past few generations) that currently held a seat in the Wizengamot- the Prewetts, the Crouch's, the Macmillians, the Potter's, the Flints, the Rosier's, the Longbottom's, the Yaxley's and the Bulstroad's. That would be nine seats that were with them even without any convincing.