forty.

CHAPTER FORTY,
trust

   THE BREEZE THAT swept from her office's open window felt like cold hands keeping the heat from making her sweat

THE BREEZE THAT swept from her office's open window felt like cold hands keeping the heat from making her sweat. She could hear the faint tunes that the birds sung, keeping her from the silence she didn't want to endure.

Her last client of the day had just left - an old man who had just suffered the lost of his wife and needed counseling, and now she was just sitting there, pondering.

Samantha kept peering at the photo through her furrowed brows, theories circulating in her mind that paired with conclusions.

Elliot looked so happy and different in the photograph - an average teenage boy.

She couldn't decide if the world had changed him, or the loss that became the consequences that resulted in who he is. Maybe even both.

Something about the way the family smiled back at her twisted her insides, a whisper telling her that they were no longer in this world.

It was a strange thing that occurred to her ever since she was a child whenever she would look at memories that came as picture, her gut automatically assuming they were either dead or alive.

Samantha wiped her chin in thought, placing her bare feet onto the burgundy wood that was her desk.

She kept eying the pretty brunette with the bright blue eyes next to Elliot, a name on her tongue that she didn't speak openly but her mind did.

Rachel.

A knock on the door jerked her away from her thoughts and she almost fell from her seat, eying it as it opened and a familiar blonde stuck her head in.

"Can I come in?" Andrea asked.

"After I recover from the heart attack you gave me." Samantha said, placing a hand over her wild heart.

The older woman entered and let her eyes take in the room quizzically. "So, this is where you work?"

The brunette placed her combat boots on, standing up from her desk and placing the locket into her jeans. "Yeah, this is where all the magic happens."

Andrea smiled at her, something that Samantha has never seen directed towards her. "I bet you're happy that the Governor made your dreams come true."

Samantha crossed her arms over her chest, a cynical look contorting her expression. "Why are you here?"

The woman shrugged. "I can't say hello to you?"

"What are we now, besties?" Samantha retorted, rubbing her head. "From what I remember, we don't have a exactly friendly past."