vii. 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖆𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖚𝖘 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖗𝖒

seven
the patronus charm

        Classes rushed by and the days even more so. Throughout the week Artemis kept her distance from Blair and Tiberius—although she suspects the latter went out of his way to avoid her, too. All her friends treated her differently, except Fred and Marlene—they were either oblivious to what had gone on between her and Blair, or they didn't care to get involved. The students of Hogwarts would look at her with annoyance and barge past her in the corridors. Some were still holding grudges against her and James, because Hogwarts now lay in last position without completing a single task.

Four times this week Artemis has had a potions lesson, to only then turn up to one of them. She was unable to look her father in the eye, even when he returned the tests to them and she'd passed with eighty-nine percent.

Artemis hardly had any time to focus on her schoolwork or socialise with her friends who still wanted to be her friends. At least being Hogwarts Champion gave her a legitimate excuse to avoid everyone. Everyone except James. They had interviews with the Daily Prophet—a lady called Hattie Crawley interrogated them twice—which was followed by pictures. So many pictures. Some individually, with your teammate, then a few random ones and a big group one.

        It was nearing midday when her Defence lesson was about to start. Both her and James had been locked in McGonagall's classroom with the other six competitors. Montgomery Fletcher went through the Tournament rules in suffocating depth. Artemis doesn't remember anything other than death being the only acceptable extenuating circumstances. They ran through the corridors at top speeds, knowing just how strict Professor Solomon could be. Artemis wasn't in any mood to get yelled at by Solomon. Or have the entire class stare at her.

        When they arrived at the door to Defence class, Artemis gladly took a step back and allowed James to open the door. Well, after she shoved him forwards into the door and he called her some unkindly names. Luckily for them, Solomon was nowhere to be seen.

        "Thank fuck," James sighed with exasperation. He turned to Artemis, giving her small salute and left her standing there like an idiot, he made his way towards Fred who sat at the front of the class.

        For a moment Artemis was stuck. Where is she to go? Sitting next to Blair was definitely out of the question. Tiberius too, as he sat next to Blair. Marlene and Camden weren't in this class, they had Defence at a different time, which meant Lysander Scamander was left. Either that or Artemis could crash with Luna Longbottom—the girl rubbed her the wrong way and Artemis didn't like it.

        Lysander it is, then.

         Artemis tried to keep her head down when she walked towards his table in the far right corner of the class. She really didn't want the attention on her right now, especially when she'll be sitting next to the source of all her current problems. It's either that or chatting to Luna Longbottom about her inner soul, who she is and what kind of person she wants to be in the future. Utter crap. The girl was too hippie for her own good. "Hey." Artemis approached the table warily, hesitant about sitting down beside him. "Mind if I sit here, Scamander?"

"Thought you weren't speaking to me?" He didn't even lift his head to look at her. Or to at least see who had spoken. Instead he slammed his textbook down onto the wooden table and opening it onto the page about Inferi. Then he pulled out a scroll. Oh shit, Artemis squirmed. Last week Solomon gave them homework to write an essay on Inferi. Obviously she'd forgotten about it.