➳ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗: 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐓 ➳

(Read authors note at end)

CHAPTER SIX:
WITCH HUNT

    MONROE WAS NEW TO HUNTING, that was no secret. But, she was a fast learner. And her new mentor was apparently the best of the bestz. The man was the most feared hunter on the west coast.

    Monroe signed up for this to hunt werewolves, werecoyotes, hellhounds— creatures that were unnatural. Creatures that could be killed with a simple bullet. Creatures who struggled to put up a fight.

    The girl emerged from the tunnels with the two mutts. That didn't matter— they were the ones outgunned. Just three more monsters to kill. She and Gerard fired a rain of bullets, expecting the wolves to drop.

    They did not. She didn't expect that.

    What she most definitely didn't expect either, what she did not sign up for, was a red shield to form from the girl and stop the bullets. For her to toss their car like a rag doll, for her to send them flying through the air. And her look... her expression... She glared daggers through Monroe, challenging her to move. To shoot. To do something. Monroe did nothing. She felt paralyzed.

    Backup came and she fled with the two wolves.
    That girl was not a wolf. She was not anything Monroe signed up to hunt. She was not something Monroe was aware that existed.

    She was okay, as was Gerard, scathed and confused, but okay.

    The man sat at the end of an open truck, loading a gun. If Monroe had known better she would've said the man was shaken up. Luckily, she didn't say that to his face. She'd hate to have to feel his wrath if she told the man he looked scared of a little girl.

    "What the hell was that?" Monroe hissed, approaching him. "I thought we were just hunting wolves. Not..." What could she call it? "...that."

    "I don't know what that was." Gerard said, frustration fluent in his voice.

    Monroe was exasperated. "She's not a witch then?"  She furrowed her eyebrows. "Have you ever hunted witches?" She asked, incredulously.

    Gerard scoffed. "A few times, they're more near the east coast. Virginia, New Orleans, Massachusetts. But that... that thing... You don't understand. She's not a wolf or Banshee and she's much more than just a witch."

    "I thought you've hunted every creature in the book?" She scowled.

    Gerard sighed. "I've hunted a lot of things in my day. But nothing like this. And this... this is the only thing that terrifies me."