Chapter 17

Haley

Archer and I had yet another argument about splitting the grocery bills as most of the things was for me.

"Young lady, if he would like to pay for your grocery.. allow him to." A woman from behind us said.

"Thank you, Ma'am." Archer smiled in victory. "At least someone get my point."

I sighed as I helped the cashier put the things in the bags.

We rolled the cart to the parking lot and Stephen and Grant showed up. They always show up out of nowhere. I think they will make a great spy.

They took the cart from Archer and Stephen looked at Archer in the eyes as if they were having an inner conversations.

"Let's go home." Archer said, his mood was cold now.

"Okay." I said.

The ride back was quiet as he looked deep in thoughts. While I was helping Mrs.Nolan put the groceries in the pantries and fridge. Archer had a meeting with Stephen and Grant in his office.

"How is Archer like?" I asked Mrs.Nolan hoping she will answer me honestly.

She give me a small smile. "You may think he's bossy, but he's a really nice young man. Achieved quiet a lot at a very young age even though he didn't really get to live his adolescence's life that well." She paused.

I wondered what she meant by that.I think she realized, she give out something personal about Archer and tried to quickly covered up her mistake by changing the topic.

"Does steak sounds good for dinner?"

"Yes." I said. Even though I've wanted to ask her more about him. I didn't want to overstep the boundaries and kept quiet.

"I can manage, you can go do something else." She said. "I like being in the kitchen, alone."

I understand she likes her own space and this is her work space and I need to respect that. I somehow felt like she didn't want me there because she's giving way too much information about Archer. I left her alone before letting her know, that if she needed help, she can call me and I doubt that she will.

I called home and Dad picked his phone in a second.

"Finally you decided to call your old man?" Dad teases.

"I'm sorry Dad, things have been a little chaotic."

"How come you never mentioned to any of us?" Dad asked.

"It was last moment...I got the news while I was on vacation." Which was somewhat True and a lie as well.

"Your sister is enjoying her life with your car." He said and I winced a little. Dad is worried about Elena driving the car for her safety. She's not the safest and neither the best driver.

"I know... and I might have to ask her to stay in my apartment. I don't want Isaac to list the apartment as empty because I will be returning when things are better here." And I have no idea when that will be.

"Won't it be too expensive to pay the rent over there and here as well?" He asked. I'm technically not paying rent here because my Boss is way too proud to accept anything from me.

"I like that space." I tell him. "It's cozy and close to work."

"I know you like that space honey, but you don't know when you are returning back, is it?" He asked. "Elena mentioned something like that and I'm surprised you took up that offer to transfers. Don't you have to return back here to move the things?"