Chapter 19

Haley

We were back at the apartment- which I learnt is called North York.

"Thank you Grant, thank you Mrs.Nolan."

"You're welcome." Mrs.Nolan said. "It's not like everyday our boss allow us to take someone on a city tour."

"Ever?" I said.

"Never." Mrs.Nolan said. Grant was not a talker or maybe he just didn't want to share his feelings with us. The whole day, he was quiet and only talk when we ask him something.

"I will let Mr.Rivera know we are back." Grant said as soon as we were back in the apartment.

"Thank you." I said to him. I have no idea why he have to notify, Archer.

"I will get started with the dinner."

"What are you planning to make?" I asked.

"I'm just going to find ingredients and see what I can make."

"Can I cook?" I asked.

She was taken aback by my request.

"I want to cook." I said. "I'm not the best cook, but I have very little successful cooking stories."

She smiled. "Sure." She said.

I looked for ingredients to make Oven roasted shrimp with Parmesan risotto. Mrs.Nolan helped me find the ingredients and then allowed me to take over the kitchen. I told her she can do something else and trust me in my cooking skills.

"What's this delicious smell?" Archer walks in while I was preparing the risotto.

"Hello." I said to him as I was stirring the risotto. The rice was almost ready and I just put the shrimp in the oven.

"You are cooking tonight?" He said smiling as he put his coat down and loosen his tie. He looked tired but beautiful.

"I thought I could cook something for you since you are being nice to me." I said.

He laughs as he stood beside me. I turned off the heat and added the Parmesan and parsley.

"You are hungry?" I asked. It was six-forty five.

"Yes." He said.

"Go sit, I will serve the dinner soon."

"I can help." He volunteered.

"You are tired, let me do it." I said and give him a small smile and he returned one.

I took out the shrimp from the oven and then spread the risotto in a bowl and topped it with shrimp and sprinkled some parsley.

I put down a glass of water beside him and watched him eat. I was nervous I don't know if it suits his taste. His eyes widened as he nodded his head.

"It's delicious." He said sounding impressed and I sighed in relief and smiled. "Come join me for dinner."

I made myself a bowl and sat down beside him.

"You are a better cook than I thought." He said.

"Thanks." I said.

"Mrs.Nolan will be having a competition." He teased.

"She's a better cook than me." I said.

"I think you two are a good cook. That's great, at least when Mrs.Nolan is off sometime I know who to look for." He winked and added. "I'm kidding, it must be tiring to cook."

"I enjoy cooking." I said. "I don't really get to cook often because of work. I usually do those meal plan on the weekend for the whole week."

"How is working in Seattle like?" He asked.

"It's a dream come true. It's a good company." I said. "Everyone is nice at the office. Pays and benefits are good."

"Of course, the staffs worked hard for it."

"I heard you started the company when you were a teenager." I said and he stopped chewing and I regretted bringing the topic.

He nodded his head. "When I was seventeen." He said quietly.

"That's young.."

"Yes." He said as he put some spoonful of foods in his mouth.

"Must have been difficult." I said quietly.

He turned to look at me.

"Why would you think that?" He asked.

"Seventeen.. it's a tough age especially when you are young and some hypocrites believe you are incapable. I don't know? I feel like Adults don't trust teenagers much. I get it. We are young and reckless at that age, but we can make decisions on our own."

He give me a ghost of a smile. "That's true, I had a tough time starting my own business. People thought I wouldn't be able to make it and I wasn't of legal age, yet. Once I was eighteen and legal that's when I started proving my point. When I was seventeen it was just the idea, but no one wanted to take risk with a young teenager- I rented out the spaces that my Dad had to split with my mom after their divorce and that's how I made money at the beginning to start a business and then bought real estates and then small companies and made them big."

I didn't know his parents got divorce.

"I'm sorry."I said.

"What? About my parents?" He give me a small smile. "They fell out of love. What are you sorry about? It's not like it's your fault."

"I'm sorry you had to go through this." I said.

"My Dad remarried and have a f*cking beautiful family at the moment. My mom is living in a mansion and doing what she loves. My brother is happy in Australia. We are all doing great."

"What about you? Are you really happy or you are pretending to be happy?"

He didn't answer my question and I thought I should change the topic.

"I took lots of pictures today." I said.

"How was it? Did you enjoy?" I think he was grateful that I changed the topic.

"Yes, thank you." I said. "I really enjoyed my day but I would appreciate if I can use the public transport to go around places, so I know the city better."

"Grant can drive you around."

"Archer." I said. "Back in Seattle I used to do these things. I don't want to get used to these luxury moments."

He was quiet for the first time.

"I would like to walk around the city and explore it in my own way, please." I asked hopefully.

He was hesitant at first and was trying to come up with some excused and when he couldn't. He sighed and said. "Use the car, at least. Not the public transports."

"I think I will get to places faster in a subway than in a car." I joked about how busy the streets is.

He give me a gloomy look.

"At least once in a while I can use public transport." I can't believe I'm negotiating with someone about this. I want to know why he's so adamant about been driven by someone else or drive by myself and not the public transport.

"It's not safe." He said.

"Everyone does it." I pointed out.

He pursed his lips. "It's either you drive by yourself in the car that I give you or I will drive you, there's no in-between."