Chapter 8

Tobias and I finally made it home running. We stop right outside to catch our breath, to make it seem like we weren't running home. Tobias opens the door quietly, probably hoping Marcus had gone to bed. He stops with the door slightly and looks inside, but I wasn't able to see what was going on. He turns to look at me with a worried expression, and I know something isn't right. I move past him, and he says my name quietly, wanting to go first. I don't let him and I step inside, him following right behind me. When I look inside I see Marcus, sitting at the table looking right at me. In front of him lies a brown leather belt. Tobias comes in and puts a hand on my shoulder looking towards Marcus.

"Your late" Marcus says coldly.

"I'm sorry father I got caught up helping my teacher. Tobias ended up helping her too" I say

" The teachers wouldn't make you stay that long, it's 9:15 PM," He says looking at his watch.

"Dad, please don't be mad at her, she was just trying to help," Tobias says.

"Tobias it is in the rules to make sure not to influence your decision tomorrow," Marcus says while grabbing his belt, "So I mustn't do anything to do that tonight". 

Tobias glances at me and looks back up. 

"But," Marcus continues " Rose here won't have the option to leave abnegation for quite a while".

Tobias catches on to what Marcus is saying, a few seconds after me,  and immediately says, "Father please don't do this". Tobias puts an arm around my shoulder and tries to push me back. It won't do anything.

 "She didn't do anything wrong" Tobias says, as bravely as he can. 

"Tobias" I whisper "It's fine, I won't let you get hurt anymore,".  

"Take it out on her?" Marcus says "This is for her own good." 

" Tobias go up to your room" He says

Tobias stands there hesitantly, an arm still around my shoulder. I nod at him, and he slowly moves away closing his eyes. He makes his way up the stairs and closes the door. 

Marcus looks over at me and says " Maybe now you'll know to listen to what I say". He lifts his belt and throws it, hitting my side. He does it again and again, hitting my back repeatedly and both sides. I cry out in pain each time and tears form in my eyes. I eventually fall to the ground, and it hits my legs as well. I think I eventually pass out from the pain, but I don't know. Everything just goes black.

Authors Note: What did you think? Was this chapter good? Keep reading to find out to see what happens the next day, aka the choosing ceremony! I really hope you guys liked it, and make sure to share this to anyone who will enjoy it, comment and vote! Thank you so much for reading, love to you all! 😁♥

-Violet