121. A Cluster of Butterflies

A SEED OF fear sprouted inside Ravenna's chest, like a weed ensnaring her heart

A SEED OF fear sprouted inside Ravenna's chest, like a weed ensnaring her heart. She blinked. Her lips parted around a silent, waterlogged scream. And then she blinked again. The crimson eyes vanished, now replaced with several concerned, vaguely familiar faces. She could feel her entire body trembling as that weed of terror squeezed her heart. Her head spun, her mind racing, her heart beating faster and faster. Short breaths of air entered her lungs, escaping as wheezing gasps. Her hands pressed against something hard —she'd fallen again.

It took her a moment to find her voice, to think clearly.

She pushed herself upward, into a seated position. The entire right side of her body ached. "I am alright," she assured the women that hovered around her. Her voice cracked.

Alyss was already shaking her head. The disapproval radiated from her body in waves. Within seconds, she had the room cleared and Ravenna seated on her bed.

"You are not to move," she ordered, her expression stern.

Ravenna sunk deeper into the feathered mattress beneath her. At this point, there was no fight left in her. Exhaustion seeped through her skin, settling deep into her bones. She watched as Alyss fussed about the room. The young girl seemed genuinely upset.

"Thank you," Ravenna said, earnestly. "For taking care of me. I really appreciate your help."

"My life depends on it," Alyss answered. She tidied up the room swiftly and moved on to the wardrobe, shuffling through the dresses. She pulled out a royal blue dress with silver beading interlaced into an elegant pattern at the base of the skirt.

Ravenna eyed the dress warily. Her eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

Alyss didn't answer her immediately. She set the dress aside and let out a sigh. "I wonder if I should alert the prince," she murmured, mostly to herself.

"No." Ravenna's voice was firm. "I am fine. There is no need to cause a panic over this."

"I discovered you unconscious on the ground and then watched as you fell to the ground again, only minutes later. You are hardly well enough to stand. Let alone go about your daily lessons."

Ravenna did her best not to scowl. "I will be alright."

Alyss shook her head again. "There is no point in trying to prepare you for the day if you cannot stay awake to enjoy it," she responded calmly. "Not to mention, you could have really injured yourself, falling like that."

"But—"

"There will be no more protesting," Alyss snapped. The calm facade that she'd been clutching onto slipped from her expression. "Do not move from that bed."

Ravenna bit her tongue. A fire burned deep inside her, scorching through her veins. Alyss set aside the dress and removed herself from the room. The door slammed shut behind her.

It took all that she had to breathe, to try to remain calm. Alyss' words lingered in the air. Sparks of icy blue danced around Ravenna's fingertips.

Alyss was nothing —a measly servant that was easily replaced. She had no right to order Ravenna around like that.

Ravenna was the future queen, afterall.

"She is right, you know," a lazy voice drawled from the corner of the room.

A started gasp tore through Ravenna. Her gaze flickered toward the origin of the voice —a bored looking Mylo leaning against the wall near the door, a book in open in his hand. She scowled at him. "When did you get here?"

"Oh, I slipped in as Alyss left," he explained. He pushed away from the wall behind him and stepped further into the room. His book lowered to his side and his dark eyes scanned over her. "You don't necessarily appear fine."

"Well, I feel it," she responded shortly.

"You are going to have to lie better than that," he told her. He sat down on the edge of her bed and tilted his head to the side. "What happened?"

She met his gaze evenly. "I'm not sure what you mean," she said. This time, her voice did not betray her.

He moved closer. Her jaw clenched as a cluster of butterflies tickled her stomach. She frowned at him as he reached out, his hand lightly touching her forehead. Her fingers curled around his wrist tight as she leaned back, making space between them.

"What are you doing?" She demanded.

Mylo arched an eyebrow at her. "You look quite red," he remarked. He lowered his hand. "I was going to check your temperature."

"That is quite unnecessary," she insisted. "I am perfectly fine."

Mylo didn't seem to believe her. He leaned back, creating more space between them. His shoulders slumped slightly around a loud sigh. "You should be more careful," he told her.

"Yeah," she muttered. "And more observant. I know."

His dark eyes shimmered with something unrecognizable. "You'd be amazed at what you could learn. The more observant you are, the more you grow."

She didn't respond.

His gaze shifted around the room and, for a moment, he paused. Then he murmured, "There is something off about this room."

Ravenna's heart stopped.

Did he already know?

hey friends!

I hope that you and your loved ones are safe and healthy! ❤ Thank you so much for taking the time to read and support this book. I really appreciate you!! Y'all are so amazing!!

ash ❤

p.s. #sorrynotsorry for the cliffhanger! 

 #sorrynotsorry for the cliffhanger!