-6-

(Y/n) and Shadow circled each other, shoulders tense, hands open and ready. The (a/t) already knew she was going to get her butt kicked by the dark hedgehog, but he always pulled her up and yelled: "Again!", and she was determined not to show weakness. 

Sometimes, when she was training, she would get carried away. Her frustration would pour out in her screams and she couldn't stop herself, and that kept Shadow down, but another person would always have to come in and break them up. Even Tails' invention couldn't block out the screams forever. 

So that led to Shadow having to get his earbuds constantly replaced, but he didn't seem to care, and the fox didn't either, so they continued like that, however, progress was slow. 

Presently, (Y/n) took several steps back as Shadow launched himself at her and wrapped his arms around her, bringing her to the ground. Her back hit the ground with a thud. She opened her mouth and let out a shrill screech that made Shadow pull his head back and she brought her leg up and planted it hard on his gut, shoving up. He tumbled off her, rolling backwards and onto his feet. He was going easy on her, she knew, because if he wasn't, he would be throwing Chaos Spears at her. 

She kept her mouth slightly, working up another scream. They weren't easy to control, but that's what they were working on. Shadow had figured out that either strong emotions stimulated them. So now the challenge was getting them to come out on her free will. 

Her ears pinned back against her head and she took in a deep breath, planting one foot forward and letting out the scream. Visible waves rattled the air and the windows shattered. Shadow flew back into the wall, clamping his hands over his ears. He raised his fingers and opened his mouth, trying to shout something. (Y/n) forced her mouth shut and stumbled back, trying to catch her breath. 

"Great!" Rouge shouted, popping up by the shattered window. "That's the third time this week! Shadow, find somewhere else to train so I can stop replacing this window!" 

Shadow shook his head and fished the earbuds out of his ears. "Tell Tails I'll need another replacement," he said gruffly. Rouge gritted her teeth and snatched the earbuds away, opening her wings and taking off. (Y/n) shook herself off. "Are you alright?" 

"Fine," she signed since the AI was in the earbuds he had discarded. "Hungry." Everyone had been learning basic sign language along with her. She knew the basic words and could communicate what she wanted through a single motion, most of the time. The AI was definitely more effective, though she didn't use it that often. She was more of the quiet type, like Whisper, and only spoke when necessary. 

Sonic was especially caring. (Y/n) appreciated the tenderness in which he treated her with, but she often liked to be alone, away from the noise. After she had stopped using her voice, she found she rather liked the quiet. 

They returned to the warehouse where everyone else was holed up and the (a/t) beelined it for the food storage, both to eat and hide. Sonic was already there, apparently doing the same. 

"'Sup?" he said when she slipped inside. She jumped and gave a small yelp which knocked several jars off the shelves. Sonic caught all of them and placed them back where they belonged before she could blink. "Sorry." 

"What are you doing here?" she asked through the AI. 

"Escaping everyone. I'm tired and hungry and today, everyone's especially grumpy." 

"Why?" 

"Badniks are making their reappearances. No one wants to deal with them after Neo Metal Sonic, and I know Amy will handle it. She's good at that."