Chapter 22: Questions

Recap: Kion drowns Amanda for harming (Y/n).

Doubt starts as a little thing, slowly creeping up on you until you aren't sure what to believe anymore. (Y/n) was beginning to feel its effects. Amanda was missing. The news spread through the castle quickly, like all gossip did. Most people said she ran away, and (Y/n) would have liked to believe them. But she couldn't help but think that maybe, something else had happened.

She was reminded of the previous day and all of its drama. She remembered the girl's outburst, but most of all, she remembered seeing Amanda with Kion.

It probably has nothing to do with him, she tried to convince herself.

But there it was, that little seed of doubt. The situation was just too suspicious. Amanda seemed dead set on trying to win Kion's heart, so why would she leave so suddenly? (Y/n) wanted to approach her blonde-haired friend. She really did, but she had noticed that he had just been off lately. His odd behavior made her hesitant to talk to him. I mean she saw him rip a chunk out of a table for god's sake. (Y/n) didn't know what to do, so she did nothing at all: a decision she would come to regret.

------------------------------------

After her chores were finished, (Y/n) found herself at the stables. Between the princes and her work, she hadn't had the time to see Haris. She caught a glimpse of the child near one of the horses.

"Hey Haris," (Y/n) called out catching the boy's attention.

"(Y/n)!" he yelled as she walked in his direction. He set down the hay in his hands and gave her a big hug.

"I'm glad you came back," he said happily. "Oh you need to meet Turep."

(Y/n) rose her eyebrows at the unfamiliar word. "Turep?"

"Yeah, it's what I call her," he said pointing to the black-spotted horse. "It means night."

"Well, nice to meet you Turep."

"You can pet her," Haris said. He guided her hand over to the horse's mane. It was soft to the touch. Turep let out a loud snort. (Y/n) giggled.

"She seems nice."

"Yeah she's so cool. And she runs so fast. Like whoosh," he exaggerated with a hand motion. He looked back up to (Y/n) in excitement.

"Oh, since you're here can we play a game?"

(Y/n) pretended to think it over. "Only if you're prepared to lose," she teased.

"Yeah right. I'm the best."

"Well why don't we see?" (Y/n) smiled at the young boy. "Let's see, I'll count to three-hundred and you go hide. Stay in the garden or the stables though," she added.

"Okay, but you better not cheat."

"I won't. I won't. Now go hide."

(Y/n) closed her eyes and began counting. She heard his footsteps get farther and farther away. She counted slowly, making sure to give him plenty of time to hide. Once she counted to three-hundred, she opened her eyes and looked around. With a skip in her step, (Y/n) began looking for him.

----------------------------------------------

(Y/n) looked around the stable and some of the nearby bushes. She had to admit, Haris was a good hider. So far she had no luck finding him. Her eyes Although she hadn't checked everywhere yet. Her feet brought her down the path to the garden. It forked off. (Y/n)'s gaze drifted towards the left. The brick path was older and more worn. With a quick glance, she tried to see what lied farther in that direction. However, the overgrown brush blocked her view. She unknowingly shivered.

She didn't know why, but something told her Haris had gone the other way. She took the path to the right.

Hmm, (Y/n) thought, Where could he be?

She looked up at the sky in exhaustion.

Wait, that's it.

(Y/n) walked over a grassy area full of trees. She looked up through the branches trying to catch a glimpse of her younger friend.

There he was, sitting in the tree.

"Found you," (Y/n) shouted. Haris slid off of the branch and landed on the ground.

"Took you long enough. I told you I'm a really good hider," he said with a bright smile. (Y/n) was glad to see the kid having fun.

"Yeah, you are."

The sun was setting, so (Y/n) and Haris decided to continue their game another day. They walked back to the stables at a leisurely pace. Something in the garden caught Haris' eye.

"Ooo a flower," he said running farther ahead. (Y/n) let out a chuckle at his child-like wonder.

Wait, it's too late for any flowers to be blooming, (Y/n) thought with confusion. It was already summer, which meant that all of the flowers had already bloomed and died. (Y/n) caught up to the boy. Her confusion turned into alarm.

"No, don't touch that Haris," she said rushing over to stop the boy. However, it was too late. He had already picked a small purple flower.

Haris looked at (Y/n) and then back at the flower. He didn't know what was so bad about picking a flower.

"Why not?"

(Y/n) pulled the plant out of his hands and dropped it on the ground.

"That's nightshade, it's extremely poisonous." She checked his hands for any open wounds. There were none. She let out a sigh of relief. He would be fine.

"Just be careful next time, you could really get hurt."

Haris nodded his head and gave her a quiet 'sorry.' They walked back to the stables in silence. (Y/n) didn't mean to scold the boy, she just didn't want anything bad to happen to him.

"I'll come back soon," (Y/n) said, breaking the silence. "We can finish our game then. Okay?"

"Yeah," Haris said. "Thanks for playing with me. I had fun."

(Y/n) ruffled his hair. "See ya kid."

She walked back through the garden, enjoying the nice weather. As she made her way back, she passed the small bush with purple flowers.

Why would they have nightshade growing in the garden? she wondered. It was indeed strange.

1031 words

Okay so I spend the past two hours editing my outline for the story. I felt good about it before, but there were just some scenes that didn't really fit with the story. I feel much happier with it now, because I feel like every scene has a purpose that helps progress the story. Also, if nothing else changes there will be 57 chapters: including one ending for each princes and one 'true' ending. Anyway, I have really enjoyed writing this, and I'm glad you guys seem to like reading it, it really gives me inspiration to write. 🥰

Next Update: Sat/Sun