Chapter 23: Rising Tensions

Recap: (Y/n) spends time with Haris and discovers that there is nightshade growing in the garden.

As the days past, a wave of tension passed over the castle. Each of the princes had come to realize something: they were all trying to win over (Y/n). However, none of them had any intention of sharing her—or letting her go for that matter. The race was on, and each prince would stop at nothing to claim (Y/n)'s heart.

----------------------------------------

As (Y/n) prepared for the day, she was stopped by Jenny.

(Y/n), I need you to serve food at the royal family's dinner tonight," she told her.

With a sigh, (Y/n) reluctantly agreed. It wasn't like she had a choice anyway. Jenny nodded and went over to another girl. If she cleaned quickly, she might have time to rest

-----------------------------------------

Later in the day, (Y/n) walked into the kitchen.

"Oh thank god you're here," an older woman said. She handed (Y/n) a silver platter. "You'll be serving dessert. Just do what the others do and you'll be fine."

(Y/n) wanted to ask more questions, but she was shoved into a line of men and women. The group began to walk out of the kitchen, and (Y/n) followed. Her grip on the platter was tight. The line came to a stop outside of a large wooden door. The person in front opened the door and held it open as everyone filed into the dining room.

Wow, (Y/n) thought as she took in her surroundings. There was a large glass chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Light poured in through the windows onto the glass crystals, casting little rainbows onto the walls.

She watches a few people set the table in silence. There were seven seats in total: three on each side, and one at the head of the table. However, there were only six plates. Once the table was set, everyone got back into line.

They waited.

Ellis was the first to enter the dining room. His eyes lingered on (Y/n) as he took a seat. Over the next few minutes, the rest of the royal family made their way into the dining room. The king whispered something in the queen's ear and she broke into laughter, interrupting the silence. The king took a seat at the end of the table. He looked at the four princes, but all of their eyes were on (Y/n). She fidgeted in her spot, uncomfortable with all of the attention. Leo gave her a small wave, and (Y/n) returned the gesture.

The room seemed colder, as each of the princes remembered that they were not the only one with feelings for (Y/n).

"Well then, let's eat," the King announced unaware of the tension in the room.

A shorter girl from farther down the line rushed to the table and poured each person a glass of red liquid--most likely wine. As soon as she was done, the woman next to (Y/n) stepped out of line.

The woman made her way to the table. She lifted the lid off of the platter with ease and set it on the table. Using some tongs, she lifted a cut of fish from the tray, and set it on Roman's plate. She walked around the table, repeating the action before lifting the lid off the table and stepping back in line.

The only sound was the occasional sound of a fork hitting the china plates. They ate slowly. Every action was done elegantly. Everyone cleaned their plates.

"Bring out the dessert," the king said.

(Y/n) felt a slight nudge forward. She faced the woman with a questioning look.

"Put that on the table," the maid whispered.

(Y/n) stepped forward. She could feel multiple pairs of eyes on her. The tray teetered as she walked. With a shaky hand, she tried to follow the other girl's actions. She lifted the lid off of the tray and set it onto the table. She took a deep breath. The king tapped his foot impatiently.