Chapter 25: Power

Recap: Ellis takes (Y/n) to fireworks festival where he confesses his feelings for her and realizes that she doesn't feel the same.

(Y/n) got up from bed with a groan. After last nights events, it was safe to say that she hadn't slept well. Yet somehow, she felt worse today. She went to the bathroom and changed. Luckily her clothes covered the spot on her neck.

"(Y/n) are you in here?" Jenny said walking into the bathroom. Her eyebrows were furrowed and  lips pulled into a frown.

"Yeah, I'm over here."

Jenny looked somewhat relieved to see the (h/c) haired girl. "Thank god. The king and queen want to see you in the throne room."

"Why?" (Y/n) asked.

"Don't know. Just get going quickly so we both don't get in trouble."

(Y/n)  left the bathroom.

Why would they want to see me? she asked herself. Whatever the reason, (Y/n) felt a sense of dread as she got closer and closer to the room. Her hands rested on the door. She took a deep breath and walked inside.

The door creaked open, gaining the attention of everyone in the room. The king and queen were sitting on their thrones while two guards stood behind them and two stood at the door. The guards shut the door behind her and escorted her before the king and the queen. (Y/n) bowed.

"You may rise," the King said. (Y/n) lifted her body and looked at the man. She waited for him to speak.

"Well (Y/n), I assume you're wondering why you're here."

"Yes my king," she said.

He brought his hand to his chin and stroked his beard. "What is your relationship with my sons?"

(Y/n) was caught off guard. Nevertheless, she answered. "Sometimes we talk when I'm cleaning. It's just friendly interactions. There is no relationship between us."

The queen scoffed and her face contorted into anger. "Don't lie to your king and queen. I could have your head."

(Y/n)'s heart sped up. She bowed. "It is no lie my queen."

"You--"

The king cut her off. "Not now Eleanor. Remember what we discussed."

She calmed down. "Yes of course."

The king turned towards (Y/n) again. "Now, (Y/n) I would like to believe your words, but I know my sons. I refuse to sit and watch them be seduced by a commoner."

"I haven't seduced them!" (Y/n) exclaimed.

The king gave her a hard look. "Did I say you could speak?"

(Y/n) looked down. This was just going great.

"Like I was saying, the queen and I have decided that you will be sent to the farmlands for manual labor for the remainder of your sentence."

(Y/n)'s eyes widened, but she kept her mouth shut. They were sending her away?

"You should be grateful," the queen spoke up. "I wanted to have you killed."

(Y/n) frantically nodded her head. "I understand. I'm thankful for your mercy."

"Good. I will have it arranged for you to leave the castle," the king said. "You're dismissed."

The two guards next to (Y/n) took her to the door. (Y/n) left the room, letting out a sigh of relief as soon as the doors were shut behind her. As soon as she was a little way from the room, she let her back slide down the wall. Her hands were shaking.

They were going to kill me, (Y/n) whispered in disbelief. All for just being nice to the princes.

A few people walked by (Y/n). They didn't even glance at her, only continued on their way. And why would they stare, their work was more important than some stranger. (Y/n) calmed down a bit. That's exactly what she needed; working was a great distraction.

(Y/n) got up from the floor and began walking towards the ballroom. It occurred to her that it would be one of her last days working in the castle. The King never said when she would be moved, but (Y/n) could only assume it would be sooner rather than later. The (h/c) haired girl would miss her friends, but she was also glad to get away from someone in particular.

Perhaps the world was feeling particularly spiteful towards (Y/n), because as soon as she turned the corner, she made eye contact with the very person she was eager to get away from. Ellis' eyes widened when he saw her.

"Hey (Y/n)," he called out, "Can we talk?"

(Y/n) scoffed, and continued down the hallway, walking past him. Ellis caught up to her.

(Y/n) sped up her pace. "I have nothing to say to you. So if you'll excuse me, I have a job to do."

His hand reached for her arm, stopping her. (Y/n) flinched at the contact.

"Listen, (Y/n), I don't get why you're acting like this."

"What do you not get? You expect me to be happy to see you after what you've done?"

Ellis looked at her desperately. It was such a contrast to his usual cold expression, but (Y/n) found that she much preferred his cold side. It was far less dangerous.

"We kissed (Y/n). There's clearly something--"

"No," she cut him off, "We didn't kiss. You forced yourself on me."

"I did it out of love (Y/n)."

(Y/n) laughed, but the sound was anything but joyful. "If you really loved me. You'd let me go."

Ellis' hand tightened, to the point where it was beginning to hurt her. "I meant what I said yesterday (Y/n). You're mine. I won't let you go."

"It doesn't matter what you say. I'm leaving the castle. The King and Queen are sending me to the farmlands for the rest of my sentence."

His grip faltered. "...What?"

"It's funny," she mocked, "you're the one who told me to listen. Did you not hear me? I'm leaving the castle, and there is nothing you can do about it."

Ellis took a step back, letting go of her arm completely. He was silent.

"What, nothing clever to say?" she mocked. "Tell me Ellis, how does it feel being the powerless one now?"

With that, (Y/n) turned and walked away. She didn't wait to hear his reply because quite frankly, she didn't care.

Ellis stormed off into his office. He went straight to his desk, throwing open the drawers. All of the files and research he had collected was taken from its place, and slammed onto his desk. A few fluttered to the floor.

Useless, he thought. And suddenly he felt an overwhelming hatred towards the stack of papers.

His hands ripped them into small pieces. He didn't stop until the information was unintelligible. Hours upon hours of research were torn to shreds. It didn't matter though; because even after everything, he couldn't have what he wanted most. He couldn't have (Y/n).

1166 words

Next Update: Wed/Thurs