part six

jj pov

ok i'll admit, i shouldn't have lost my cool with hannah yesterday. she was actually a semi decent person i guess you could say, but her mentioning the gun just set me off.

it was like a stab in the chest of the memories from last summer. how the gun was used to save john b. how i couldn't save him this time...

so now i am back to resenting her for absolutely no reason. i think it's fun to spice life up with some new enemies once in a while, right? and who makes a better enemy then a kook princess?

i was hanging out with a few friends, jonas and elaine, at the shack when pope came running up behind me.

"let's go man!" he said breathlessly as he grabbed my arm to drag me away with him.

"woah woah woah, calm down pope, where are you taking me," i asked trying to pull away from his grip.

"to surf the surge man, storm isn't gonna hit until tomorrow but the waves are insannnee," pope exclaimed with a cheesy smile.

"fuck yeah that's what i'm talking about," i slapped him on his shoulder and we ran to the house to grab our boards. we strapped them to the top of the van before hopping in and driving to the beach.

as we ran up the dunes we were able to get a clear view of the choppy shores in front of us.

"dude, hate to break it to ya but these aren't surf-able waves," i warned him, stopping and digging the bottom of my board down in the sand beside me.

"funny..," pope began, "i said the same thing to john b last summer."

we both shared a solemn look before glancing back to the crashing waves.

"yo wait wha-," i stuttered, "what the fuck is that." i pointed out to a figure in the ocean, gesturing towards it for pope to see.

"is that a fucking person?!" pope said.

we both stared at the clear figure out in the waves, treading on their own board.

"holy shit they're surfing the surge," pope mumbled under his breath.

i squinted my eyes trying to figure out who the loon was that stayed out in those waves.

"fuck man there they go," i nodded towards the person who was paddling hard to catch a wave. shockingly the person stood up and began to surf, one of the best shreds ive ever actually seen.

that's when they wiped out and another wave came toppling down over them. pope and i shared a glance before focusing our eyes back onto the rough sea.

no signs of the person coming up from the water.

"fuck it," i let go of my board, letting it drop and began to run towards the water.

"woah bro are you fucking crazy," pope called after me.

"we have to save that person pope! now are you coming or not!" i yelled.

i heard his board drop almost immediately and we continued to book it as we waded in, struggling to keep up right battling the harsh waves.

"do you see anything," pope yelled, however i could barely hear him over the crashing water and buzzing wind.

"no but-" i stopped my sentence when i felt something, or someone for that matter crash into my torso that was engulfed by the water.

"holy shit pope," i screamed, bringing my arms around the body to lift it from the water.

low and behold the brunette that i solemnly swore i would never talk to again, was lying limp in my arms.

"fuck, fuck, fuck," i muttered under my breath as i turned to head back to land.

i couldn't even think at this moment, holding the unconscious girl in my arms. i don't even remember how i got back to land so fast but all of a sudden i was there, lying her down on the sand.

"hannah, hannah, are you with me, can you hear me," i breathlessly said. pope was sprinting out of the water now towards me.

"fuck man holy shit," he said, panting. "mouth to mouth, you have to give her mouth to mouth."

"fuck okay um," i focused my attention back to hannah. i pinched her nose and held her jaw with my hand before blowing air into her mouth.

pope was on the other side of hannah, his hands were right above her sternum and he began chest compressions.

three presses and then i would repeat my actions of mouth to mouth. it only took thirty seconds, which really felt like a years worth of time, for hannah to sputter up water and begin to breathe again.

"holy shit," i grabbed her face now with both my hands. "holy shit pope we did it."

i glanced over at pope who looked like he was gonna be sick, his eyes were wide and brows furrowed.

"hannah, hannah, are you with us, can you hear me," i spoke to her.

she mumbled something incoherent but it was enough for me to process that she was actually alive. i had saved her, i actually just saved a human being. 

"what do we do now," pope asked.

"i um, i don't exactly know where she lives or anything about her for that matter-" i mumbled.

"oh yeah but you sure seem to know her name," pope smirked.

"not the time asshat," i said.

"okay okay you're right sorry, um hospital?" pope suggested.

"the storm is almost here we wouldn't make it in time and would probably get stuck there even if we did," i said.

"that leaves us with your house then," pope said.

i looked at him wearily and he just shrugged. i guess my house, or john b's house to be more clear, was the only option, not a good option though.

i picked up hannah bridal style and we walked back to the van. she no longer felt limp in my arms as she nuzzled her head into my chest, still obliviously out of it.

"you drive i'll sit with her back here," i said, crawling into the vehicle.

"so you gonna explain how you came to know your kook princesses name?" pope asked.

"pope," i groaned. he just looked back at me with a smirk and shrugged. "fine, she came by to thank me yesterday for the fight with topp."

"so now you've saved her twice?" pope said. "you're like her knight in shining armor." he smirked.

"shut up," i pushed on his shoulder before focusing my attention back onto the sleeping girl in my lap.

i just saved hannah's life and i barely even knew her. i basically hated her for the fact of the matter. all i wanted was a chill summer after last years events, why god why.