16.

Amelia

"Max" I kept shaking her but she was asleep "Fine, I'm pouring water on your head." I got up and went downstairs. Her house was huge. I walked into the kitchen and I saw a blonde woman with deep emerald green eyes like Max. She looked at me and said "Hi Max." I was confused "Max?" I said as a question. She looked at the cabinets and said "Max can you tell the maid to repaint these cabinets. I want them black" this is her mom. She turned and sighed "Max why are you crying. Just go do what I said"

"Do I look like you?" I asked. She looked confused and she said "What do you mean" I pointed to my face "Do I look like you. Am I a carbon copy of you" she shook her head "No" I nodded and said "Then explain to me how you can't tell I'm not your daughter. Have you seen how beautiful Max is. Have you just looked at her. The beautiful person you made." She nodded and said "Yes on magazines. I thought she was you because maybe she dyed her hair."

I went over to her and grabbed her wrist "Let's go look at your daughter." I pulled her upstairs and I didn't care how much she protested. I pushed her in Max's room and closed the door. Max was still asleep. I turned Max over and moved her hair out of her face "Look at her" she sighed and looked at her. "she's pretty" I shook my head "Examine her features" she stared and I noticed her start touching things on her face that matched hers.

Max began to stir. She opened her eyes and looked around. She jumped up and looked at me "Amelia I thought you left." She stood up and her mother was shocked at how tall she was. She looked at her mom and it got a bit quiet. "Hello..." she said softly. Her mother nodded softly "Hi" it was just quiet. "Max come here" Max walked over to her. "When did you get so...big." She asked while grabbing her chin "You and dad never look at me. I've looked this way for a few years." She folded her arms "That's what this girl said too. You make us seem like bad parents."

"You've never been good parents" her mom looked shocked. "When's my birthday" can her mom please say today. "July...5th ?" I sighed and Max said "Today. My birthday is today. It's December right now." Her mom sighed and she said "You want to see it first hand. Where's father." Her mom walked us to the living room where her father was. He was on the couch reading a book. "Honey, when's Max's birthday" he didn't even look up. "Who's Max?" Max glared at her mother. Her mother now looked distraught.

Her mom walked over to him and closed his book. "Honey. Max is our daughter. When's her birthday" he shrugged and said "It's in August. I don't remember the day...probably the 5th or the 6th" Her mom stopped for a second. Her mom looked at her "Honey...what does Max look like." Her dad sighed and said "I don't know, brown hair and brown eyes like me. Why are you asking me this." Max looked like she wanted to cry. I turned her head to me "Hey, hey" she hugged me and cried softly into my shoulder "My own parents don't know who I am." I held her tightly "watch them figure it out." She wiped her eyes and stared at them.

Her mom just looked so regretful as she stared at him. "Mark go look at our daughter" he sighed. He stood up and when he saw Max he looked shocked. A wave of emotions went through him "Honey she looks just like you but...taller." Max was 5'11. The girl was tall. "And her birthday is today. We didn't even know. We know nothing about her. She doesn't want anything to do with us." He looked at her "Why, we gave her a huge house, food, and money. What else could she want."

Max jumped in "Love" they looked at her "Love and acceptance would've been nice. Because you both made a grownup decision to have me but you didn't take the grownup responsibility of taking care of me. I would rather live in a box with parents that loved me rather than a huge house that's vacant. I had no one. For years I'd cry because I was lonely. I couldn't make friends because I didn't know how to talk to people. At a young age I realized I liked girls and because no one was there to explain anything to me, I thought everyone was like me and straight people were the crazy ones."

"And then you finally hired a maid a year ago and I had someone to talk to...but she only speaks French so I learned French just to talk to her. I went to France for two months and no one knew except her. Then she became my only friend. Then she taught me the stuff you never taught me. And finally I had a guardian. Then I got a girlfriend. My first girlfriend. Amelia. I love her so much. She's the highlight of my life and I was already prepared for you two to never meet her." Max took a deep breath "But I'm used to it. You'll come home. Redecorate a bit and leave again for one to three months. At least this time I can say bye." She grabbed my hand and we left.

|~|~|~|~|~|

Do you make decisions off of emotion or logic?