113

ARCHIMEDES

There she goes, walking down stairs wearing a simple white pajama top and a printed pajama bottom.

I stood up. I watched as she took the last step of the stairs. We stared into each other's eyes. There was a glint of sadness in hers and they were also swollen, like she'd been crying for days.

" Hi." I croaked. I didn't know what to say. She was just standing there, not saying a word, but it made my heart pound like some apes were playing in it.

That's what she do to me. She makes me more nervous for notl reason at all. She wasn't even a recitation in a class or a simple return demonstration in class, but she makes me nervous as hell.

" Can we talk?" I glanced at the corners of their home. Tito Rogan went upstairs, so is her mom, probably giving us the privacy that we want.

She was silent and it's killing me. I want to hear her voice. Just a simple 'hi' would suffice.

She went outside so I followed. We went to the pool area just beside the bushes of rose plants.

" When we were little, we used to play here. You used to tease me because I couldn't swim but you tried to teach me how to. When you had no one to play with because Titus was busy with computers, you would always come here just to pester the hell out of me. "

She inhaled a deep breath. Her voice cracked but she managed to speak again as if everything's alright with her.

"When we were in high school, that's where I realized I like you not just for being a brother or a friend, but someone whom I can love for the rest of my life. When you told me you love me, I thought I was just dreaming. When you promised me things, I always hold on to them. But why?"

I fisted my hands. I know I was wrong because I didn't tell. I know I was a coward because I was afraid she'll hate me or even leave me. I was afraid that my decisions would hurt her and it did.

And I was wromg to even let those decisions doubt her love and faith in me.

" I'm still thinking if I want to go or not. I still have months to think it over."

" It's Stanford. You wanted to go there, right? Bakit nagdadalawang-isip ka?"

I sighed. " It's a tough decision. It's between you and Stanford--

She shook her head and looked away. " Don't make me one of your choices, please. You shouldn't make me your choice."

" You're in my plan! Everything! You're there. You can't be left out. We're both in this together."

" Then you should have thought about it before you took the exam." she sighed almost defeated. " You said we're both in this together. Naisip mo ba talaga ako habang gumagawa ka ng desisyon mo? Was I really part of your future?"

" If you don't want me to go, then I won't."

" Please, don't do that. Baka sisihin ko yung sarili ko kapag nagkataong mas magiging successful ka kapag doon. You're a topnotcher. The school offered you. You passed the exam. Grab it. I won't hinder you because I believe I should support you im everything even if it means you'll be away for years. Even if it means I won't be able to touch you or talk to you physically."

I took a step forward. Stared into her lovely doe eyes. Her tear-stained face wasn't the sight I wanted to see but here it is, right before my eyes. I hate that I caused her this. I hate that I hurt her.

" You know that I love you, right?" I asked her. Tumango naman siya pero may tumulo pa ring luha. I wiped it off and dropped a kiss on her forehead.

" I love you..." I whispered to her.

" Why are you making this hard for us? Palagi mo na lang pinapahirapan tayong dalawa." she complained. My lips stretched for a smile because of what she said.

" There's no pleasure if there's no pain, baby."

" Siraulo." she punched my chest and I just laugh.