Chapter 4

Oh God! How long does this guy take to reach here!

I was anxiously looking at the entrance of the bar with a soft drink in my hand, occasionally looking out for Allie who hadn't stopped dancing from the moment we stepped in. I could see a lot of guys dancing near her and some trying to get closer than they already were.

I saw one of the guys' hand started traveling lower her backside and was about to intervene but then I saw her get closer to him and say something on his ear. By the looks of it, it wasn't a pleasant invitation to grope her as the guy had thought. His gaze changed from lustful to fear and finally indifference as he pulled away from her and walked to the other side. I think the guy was one of her high school friend.

I chuckled. Typical Allie. She could handle herself out of any situation. Well, except out of her crazy-about-Mike situation. Apparently the idiot forgot about her birthday and apologised for that when she called him to remind. And that had dampened her mood although she was trying hard not to let it affect her birthday. However, I was determined to make her birthday special and not let that douche ruin it.

Which reminded me, where the hell is that guy? I swear I was gonna rip his limbs out if he didn't  arrive by the next 5 minutes.

A beep from my phone pulled me out of my thoughts and I look down at my phone to find a new text.

I'm here.

Finally! I guess God didn't want him to be dismantled just yet. I quickly moved towards Allie and grabbed her hand, pulling her with me towards the centre of the bar as the lights went out. Someone passed me a blindfold and I quickly put it over her, ignoring her protests and colourful swearing. Soon, soft lights flowed around the whole bar and a male voice sounded from the microphone.

"I'm really sorry to interrupt you guys but the moment has finally come to celebrate! The reason why we all are here tonight! So guys and girls, on count of three, let's all say it together! One... Two..."

I quickly removed Allie's blindfold just in time for the large chorus to resonate "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Allison. Happy birthday to you!"

In no time there were confetti and balloons flying everywhere followed by loud cheering of people and the projector at the centre of the dancefloor showed a picture of Allie and me looking at each other with silly grins on our faces and a caption:

'Happiest birthday to the world's best friend and the best human being. The light of torch, and the line of my life. I love you Allie. May all of your wishes come true and some more.'

I heard a gasp from my right and suddenly I was engulfed in a bear hug with a force that made me stumble a few steps back. She pulled back after a few moments and I saw her smiling at me with eyes filled with tears.

"Thank you so much Eves! You're the bestest friend of the world. I can't even find the words to express my gratitude that you're my best friend." She cried, sniffing in the end.

"Then don't. You deserve this, Allie, and so much more. And to be honest, it is I who should be grateful that you're my best friend." I said, remembering those dark days when Allie was the only one I had.

I pushed them at the far end of my mind and exclaimed, "Now, stop it! You are not going to cry here. I have a reputation to keep and it won't do good if you go on crying from my surprise. And besides, it wasn't just my work. You need to thank a certain someone who has helped me do this. Inviting all the people from your connection wasn't an easy task y'know. You, my friend, have a large group of well wishers." We both giggled at that.