Prologue

Disclaimer: I don't own Avatar the Last Airbender or Naruto. Just saying.

"This one looks pretty upset," Sokka remarked as they approached. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"I'm the bridge between the spirit world," Aang replied. "There's no one else but me to even try to handle it."

The Gaang was hidden in a grove of trees, looking out over a large pond. From what Sokka had said, there was a faint, fluttery spirit by the shore, but she couldn't feel it all that well.

It was kinda ticking her off.

Twinkle toes had a point. Toph sighed and cracked her knuckles. "So, what're we dealing with?"

"I've spent a little while talking with the past Avatars, and I'm pretty sure this one's called an Onryo. They're supposed to help the dead find peace, but they do it in less..... peaceful ways," Aang's voice became quieter as they got closer the the faint wisp that was all Toph could sense of the spirit.

"Great. How're we gonna do this, Sokka?" Toph asked, not slowing her pace like all the others were doing. Her Earthbending was so clear, she could sense everything around her. She didn't need eyes, and didn't want them.

That was the mantra she had repeating in her head, anyways.

"Toph," Sugar Queen was whispering too. "Maybe you should sit this one out. That spirit looks pretty dangerous-"

"Are you kidding me?" Toph felt angry. Well, more angry then she usually was. It bubbled up and burned inside so that she wouldn't feel the stab of -

Hurt.

"I'm the strongest Earthbender in the world!" Toph whirled in their direction and stuck out an accusing finger. "I don't need to sit on the sidelines! And I thought that you guys at least would have known that!"

"Um, Toph-"

"Not now, Sokka!" Toph continued. "You had me with you during the invasion! Have you somehow decided all of a sudden that I can't take care of myself?"

"Toph-"

"What, Sokka? What is so important that-"

She froze. "It's right behind me, isn't it?"

There was a spooky whoosh, and one second she was there, then the next she wasn't.

"TOPH!"

▪▪▪

There was something not right out there.

How did you say that? Unright? Falsly right? Incorrect?

Shikaku glanced out at the Nara woods, the breeze promising warm summer days.

A small herd of deer were bounding out of the trees. They were leaving their safety and home.

There was something wrong.

Shikaku stepped down from the porch and started striding directly for the woods.

▪▪▪