Ch 21 - A Satisfying Set-Down (Henry POV)

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

Henry strode angrily to the hall. There was no way these infuriating people were getting admittance inside their home. He knew sending the hatpin and belt would create a response but their audacity was hard to believe. He would never regret his choice - he had to admit wanting them to suffer in the knowledge that they brought about their own downfall.

He had been beyond horrified when he first discovered their cruelty towards such an innocent as Rosie, but he imagined that over time his ire and pain at the thought of her mistreatment would lessen.

What he did not foresee was the effect of watching his beautiful wife change. Just over these few months she had blossomed more than he had imagined possible. Her stutter had been vanquished, her true smile was now free and given frequently, her face glowed constantly, happiness leaked out of her and infected everybody around, her wit and charm - though always present was now e'en more devastating, she floated everywhere instead of merely gliding, like the earth barely had hold of her and she might fly away.

Watching this miraculous beauty emerge was utterly amazing, surprising. She had always been charming and witty with unparalleled exquisiteness. But had she been then what he saw now, she would have had twenty proposals daily. More.

Her parents stole that from her; stole her true self, squashing it under the weight of their expectations.

So instead of his wrath lessening, it had grown. Each month, each week, each day, increased his desire to destroy the people who had tried to destroy his wife. He acquiesced to her request not to leave them homeless and penniless only for her sake. If it were his choice they would be begging for coins on the street.

Chilton came to him as he reached the hall, Reeves and Oxley were ready by the door, smirks on their faces indicating their excitement for some possible violence. They were men he had carefully selected alongside Bult as protectors of his household. They were observably strong, between them they must weigh as much as his horse, and their size oft made others underestimate them, for they were also clever.

He trusted them, not only with his life, but Rosie's as well. He hoped she was not intimidated by Bult right now. It had not been by accident that she had not met him or Reeves as yet, they tended to alarm most females and he had not wanted anything to spoil her relaxation on either visit, but now it could not be avoided, her safety was paramount.

"They are nearing the house, Your Grace," Chilton indicated through one of the windows and he saw that indeed their carriage would park soon.

"I will go out first. Reeves, Oxley, you come also. Chilton, act on your instincts, I trust you to do the right thing as and when it becomes necessary."

Not many people could give such carte blanche to their butlers, but Chilton had proven himself time and time again. His instincts were impeccable.

"Thank you, Your Grace. I will not let you down." The staid man nodded then opened the front door.

Henry went out and stood with the two burly men flanking his sides in time for the carriage to roll to a halt.

Chilton immediately walked to the driver and instructed him. "Do not leave, they will be returning shortly."

The baron exited first, his eyes darting to Henry and then the men beside him. He was followed by a wincing baroness, moving as if every step was a trial. It solidified Henry's resolve to give her the chance to leave her husband, she had apparently borne the brunt of her husband's wrath in the past few days.

He could not bring himself to feel sympathy for her when he easily recalled each circular scar that dotted his wife's body. The barren womb she suffered because of her mother's need to give out worse than she received.