²⁹, DRUNKEN NEWT EXAMS

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter twenty-nine; Drunken NEWT Exams
We have five drinks to finish collectively let's see how well we do on NEWTs when we're sloshed off Butterbeer. "

  IT WAS THE first day of the horrible trek that would be NEWTs

  IT WAS THE first day of the horrible trek that would be NEWTs. James had made sure Salem ate breakfast, despite her nerves that took up all the space in her stomach, and gave her a good luck kiss before they departed to their respective desks.

  And, afterward, when Salem had tugged her hair nervously out of her half up-do and Remus had bitten his nails down to nubs, James took his friends out to The Three Broomsticks.

  "A celebratory drink!"

  "Some of us have another test in a few hours," Remus mumbled as James raised his butterbeer high, but this did nothing to discourage the Potter boy.

  "But, we've all completed the first one, Moony!"

  "I didn't think we'd be so busy on a NEWTs day," Roman announced, setting down two more butterbeers in front of Peter and Sirius, "How'd you all do?"

  "Passed, no doubt," Sirius quickly answered, grinning as he sipped his frothy drink.

  "Sal?"

  "What?" Salem questioned, snapping her eyes up to her father.

  "You're workin' yourself to the bone, aren't you?"

  "No."

  "She is!" James spoke up, lazily resting an arm on the back of the booth behind Salem, "She's in the common room with books when I go to sleep, and I swear she's not moved when I wake up!"

  "Give yourself a break, Sal," Roman frowned, "You won't help yourself if you're knocking out during your test."

  "I just want to pass."

  "And you will, because you're brilliant."

  "Yeah, yeah," Salem waved off, pulling her butterbeer closer to herself, "Can you lot focus on Remus? His fingers are going to start bleeding if he doesn't stop biting at them."

  Sirius sighed and grabbed Remus's hand that was currently pressed against his chin, making the Lupin boy jump slightly, but he allowed Sirius to keep hold of it as if giving the action no thought.

  "Well, good luck to all of you," Roman sighed, "I remember my NEWT exams—"

  "Back in your day, eh?"

  Roman lightly hit Salem with the towel resting over his shoulder before departing, leaving his daughter with the very smile he'd only wished to pull out of her.

  "I can't do it, I need to study before I take my Potions exam," Remus blurted, haphazardly climbing out of the booth, over Sirius without a care in the world.