-Chapter 108-

Day: 146

Days Left: 5334

Lives Saved: 0

Calixte stayed the night at the house. After all of the stress and pain he had endured that evening, Harmony and Corinna agreed that it would be best he slept over instead of sending him outside into the dark and cold.

In the morning he thanked and apologised to both of them profusely, causing his voice to break and crack even more. The two young women assured him that it was of no inconvenience and were relieved that he had gotten better.

As the amphibian's destination was The Land of the Lost, the women suggested that they may as well walk together as Harmony was heading there also after escorting Corinna to Ivette's.

When they arrived at the trading post, the amphibian was met with shared looks of bewilderment and caution from Rin and Sumit, along with disdain from Ivette.

"This is Calixte," said Corinna nervously, presenting the amphibian before them. "He helped us at the drop-off."

Rin, Sumit, and Ivette continued to look at each other, baffled.

"Without him, I doubt I would have been able to get us that food," Corinna continued, attempting to put in a good word.

"It is a 'leasure to be acquainted with you all." Calixte bowed in such a distinguished and elegant fashion that everyone almost envisioned a nobleman before them instead of a fish-monster. "My name is Calixte." He then addressed Ivette. "I a'ologise dearly for my past transgressions. Sometimes my behaviour can be... erratic nearing a 'lood 'oon but I know that is no excuse for the damage I have caused to your renowned esta'lish'ent."

The look of disdain had vanished from Ivette's face and was replaced by one of pride and satisfaction.

"'lease..." The amphibian knelt down one knee. "I wish to fix-" Calixte clutched his throat as he wheezed, collapsing into a coughing fit. Corinna and Harmony rushed to his side. After a moment, he stopped and reassured them that he was fine.

"We'd best be off," said Harmony. She hugged Corinna and waved goodbye to everyone else as she headed to the Land of the Lost with Calixte.

Rin, Sumit, and Ivette shared one last look of bewilderment before returning to their jobs.

*

"What is it dat you are looking for?" asked Calixte as he watched Harmony scavenge through the piles of objects at the Land of the Lost.

Harmony hesitated to answer. She was searching for scuba gear, but she feared that if she said anything related to water, it would upset him. "Something to help me get my mask back," she replied. "Need it to escape."

"I see..."

After being unsuccessful in her hunt, Harmony decided to move to a new area. She turned a corner and gasped in horror, now face-to-face with her mortal enemy: The Piano.

She circled around it, head raised to assert dominance. It seemed that someone had repaired the piano. It had become stronger since they had last met. But so had Harmony.

"Ah, is it not 'eautiful?" Calixte ran his webbed hand over the smooth surface of the piano. "I have been fixing it, my own little 'roject. Dere are still a few keys 'issing, but it is now in tune."

Harmony couldn't believe it. She had thought that her relationship with Calixte had evolved from mildly-hostile prison inmates to casual acquaintances. But now that she knew that he had helped her worst enemy, she felt betrayed.