Chapter 23

The story did, in fact, make the front page of the Daily Profit the very next morning, and Hermione had been woken up to reporters on her front steps with hundreds of questions. The only thing that made them leave was when she finally resorted to calling Harry, and he had come over. He apparated right to her front steps, and the whole lot of them quickly took his stern look as a warning to leave. Hermione was grateful that most of the pictures that were used had Ginny and Harry in them smiling as well. People seemed to get the idea that they didn't mind, and thus they didn't give her too many problems. She was grateful for that because Ron did have a problem with it. 

"What are you thinking, Hermione?" Ron hadn't gone to her front door and flooed right into her living room. She was shocked, watching him step right out of the fireplace. 

"What?"

"How could you date him? After everything he did to you. To us." 

"Ron, he has changed. I got to know him. I forgave him." Hermione didn't want to fight with Ron about this. She didn't want to lose their friendship, and she was sure she would with their already fragile relationship since they had just broken up. 

"How long has this been going on?" He seemed like he was terrified at asking the question. 

"Ron, I promise we were not together anymore. I wasn't even seeing him when you moved out. We didn't start dating until we actually broke up. I wouldn't hurt you like that. I didn't want anyone to find out about us in case they got the wrong idea. I would never." 

"Hermione," Ron didn't seem to have the words. He looked more heartbroken than when they had broken up. 

"Ron, he makes me happy." She said it in a whisper, not sure why she was saying it. Ron thought he heard pleading in her voice and a single tear fell out of his eye. 

"Hermione, I am really happy for you," He pulled her into a hug and dropped the Daily Profit. That is all he had ever wanted for her. He had been fuming when he left his new flat. He had wanted things to work out, and he was still hopeful that they eventually would, but he knew now that would never happen. Hermione looked happier in those photos than she had in a really long time, and that is what had hurt him the most. What was Malfoy doing that was making her so much happier than he had.

"Ron, you know that all I want for you is to be happy. I have always wanted that."

"I know,"

Ron sat down on her couch and put his head in his hands. What was he going to now? Hermione sat down next to him and put her hand on his back. She felt so guilty. He had left so that she could get herself together, and she had done that by meeting Draco and letting go. Something Ron had been trying to get her to do for years. It was so easy with Draco, though, and she felt extremely guilty for that. 

"Do you know if your parents are upset?" Hermione had wondered about Arthur and Molly since the reporters had shown up. She had already talked to George about the wedding, but she was worried that Molly and Arthur would be angry with her. 

"They are just concerned, but I am sure that Ginny has talked to them about it. I saw that she was with you both in some of those photos. How long has she known?"

"Since the beginning," 

Ron nodded and looked up, "And Harry?"

"I wanted him to talk with Draco before the party. I needed him on my side. The four of us had dinner, and they didn't kill each other, so that was a start." Hermione gave a week half-smile. Ron nodded again and seemed to be deep in thought. 

"Why wouldn't you just tell me?" He finally croaked, trying to keep the tears from falling. "We have known one another since we were kids. We went through horrors together. I would have been able to take it," His voice was getting louder with each word.