Chapter Four

"Millie, there's someone outside who wants to see you," Devin informed me one evening, a few days after my arrival at the Montgomery mansion.

I had a slight idea who that was, but I still asked anyway. "Who is it?"

"The man identified himself as your uncle, and there's a younger guy who says he's your cousin. They showed us some pictures for proof as well." He said, "We allow family visitations to our employees, so if you want to see your family, I could arrange for them to sit and chat with you in the spare sitting area."

My blood ran cold. Mark and Ray were both disgusting and worthless people, and I didn't know how they figured out my address. I didn't remember ever letting it slip from my mouth.

I could only think of one reason they would come here.

To extort money from me, and now that they knew where I worked, I was sure they would make things difficult.

"Devin, I don't want to see them. Please make some excuse and tell them to leave."

He nodded, understanding the fear in my undertone. He turned to the house butler. "Winston, tell the gentlemen outside that they have a misunderstanding and Millicent Davis doesn't work here."

They were hardly people you would call gentlemen, but I refused to say anything mostly because once I opened up to Devin about my past, I would have to explain the why, how, and when and I didn't need that right now. I came to this town and took this job because I wanted to start over and talking about my past would just open old wounds.

Besides, the thought of Mark and Ray in this house was like inviting a pair of coyotes. The silver would automatically disappear from the house and no one would even notice.

"Yes, sir." Winston left the room and walked down the hallway towards the main door.

Devin turned to me and placed his hand on my back. "Is there something you want to talk to me about?"

I shook my head. "They aren't good people and I don't consider them as family."

"You're right. Not all blood relatives can be called family. Millie, if you ever need to talk to anyone, I'll always be here for you and I'm sure Dayana would be glad to lend you an ear, too."

"I really appreciate that," I said genuinely.

"And as long as you're under our employment, we will protect you."

* ~ *

That evening, Castle didn't show up at the dinner table, and Dayana was missing as well.

"Where's Castle and Dayana?" I asked.

"He refused to come down to dinner, so I sent one maid to check on him. Dayana has a bit of a headache and said she wants to lie down in her room."

This is where I will be put to test. If I could prove to Devin that I could get Castle to eat without throwing tantrums, they would likely end my probation period and keep me here as Castle's permanent nanny. Well, at least until he doesn't regain his memories.

I stood up from the table. "I'll go see that he eats his dinner."

Devin gave me a grateful smile, "good luck with that." His eyes rested on the plate that I filled with food. "But I would suggest you not to force him if he doesn't want to eat."

Theo sniggered, smiling coyly at me.

I didn't step on his cat, so I didn't understand what this hostility was all about.

And someday I was going to ask him what his problem was.

I carried some of Castle's food on a plate and began climbing the stairs. When I reached his room, I heard someone talking, so I stopped outside of his bedroom, not wanting to pry into the conversation.