forty-two

《CHAPTER FORTY-TWO》

IT WAS FOUR DAYS before anything interesting happened

Four days full of being in her old room that gave her nightmares, four days of eating the horrible sloppy food, four days of sitting for hours underneath that beeping machine, four days of injections and four days of listening to Dr. Smith drone on and on about his evil plans.

And Carter was sick of it. She didn't know how she had managed to last six years here, dealing with whatever they threw at her and not even trying to escape.

The happiness that she had felt at not being able to escape was soon replaced by hopelessness and irritation. She found herself growing restless and impatient, desperately looking around when being brought through the hallways, trying to find an escape route. She would spend the hours inside the machine trying to think of some escape plan. And she would listen at doors when left on her own, desperate to hear some whispering voices that would give her some useful information to work with.

It had mostly been the thought of what Tony would say if he knew she was just letting them do whatever they wanted to her that made her want to escape.

And then, after four days of the same routine over and over again, something happened.

She was being brought through one of the many corridors by Dr. Smith when she heard the sound of something heavy falling against the window on the roof. Her head quickly shot up, just like Dr. Smith's, but all she could see was the bright blue patch of sky outside.

Dr. Smith stood still for a second, a hand on Carter's shoulder, before giving a little shake of his head as if telling himself that he imagined the noise, and proceeding to steer Carter down the hall.

She followed him without saying anything, but whenever they passed by a window, she would try to discreetly glance upwards, but she saw nothing and no more odd sounds came from the roof.

When she was pushed into the room with the brain scanning machine, Dr. Smith told her to stay there, not to touch anything and left for a few moments. Carter listened at the keyhole, but all she could hear were quiet murmurs, nothing that she could make out.

So she sat on the wooden chair, her head inside the machine for hours, only the thoughts of making an escape plan keeping her from going crazy.

~\☆/~

"No, Carter, you will not be going back to your room today."

Carter looked up, confused, at Dr. Smith as he steered her away from the corridor that led to her room.

"Why not?" she asked.