Ch. 1 - Last Day Pt. 1

Song: feelings are fatal by mxmtoon
Words: 2150
Published: May 8th, 2020
Third Person POV
Rayna

A soft alarm beeps. It was so soft that anyone on the other side of the door wouldn't hear a thing, yet it's enough to wake the person who set it. It reads 5:00 A.M.

The room consisted of a closet, a shelf, a desk, a nightstand, and a bed. The walls were a light blue, with a wood floor and a white carpet beneath the bed. The bedsheets were floral patterned, mainly white with the flowers ranging from shades of green to purple. Countless envelopes sat on the desk, markers scattered around, and a grey, open backpack hung off the back of the chair.

The girl in the bed stirs, quickly sitting up and turning off the alarm. She's not surprised when her body fights against her. She pauses for a minute, listening. Once she's sure no one woke up to her alarm, she gets out of bed. She was fully dressed, since she was too tired to change out of her clothes last night before passing out in bed.

After supper the night before, which she not only had to make, but wasn't allowed to eat and forced to clean up, she was forced to clean the house a second time that day. Ignoring her already exhausted body, she had spent a few hours working on specialized cards for all of her high school teachers, even those she doesn't particularly like. She thanked them for all they did for her, wished them luck in both their career and personal lives, and included her favorite memory with them and a small drawing to go with it. She didn't finish until nearly three in the morning, meaning she only got two hours of sleep.

Looking through her closet, she picks out an outfit. All of it was hand-me-downs, meaning half of it showed too much skin or was too tight for her liking. She decides that she doesn't need to grab a new bra or pair of socks, and she realizes that she needs to do laundry again soon. She grabs a clean pair of underwear, light wash blue jeans, and a loose, grey, tie-die designed shirt.

She slowly opens her door, again looking around and listening to make sure she's the only one awake. She heads into the bathroom directly next to her room, locking the door behind her. She yearns to take a shower but knows that unless she wants a beating, she has to wait until she makes it to school to use the showers in the locker room.

She changes out of yesterday's clothes and into today's, brushing her hair and teeth and putting on deodorant to help her feel somewhat clean. Looking at herself in the mirror, she questions what to do with her long, brown hair. She leaves it down. The jeans were a bit tight, which she disliked. The shirt looked scarily baggy on her, but she ignores it.

For once, she didn't have to touch her little supply of makeup to cover a bruise or fix up a bloody lip, though she ends up putting on some concealer to cover up the large bags under her eyes. Her skin is naturally tan, making her light blue eyes stand out.

She walks back into her room, throwing the dirty clothes in her hamper. She packs up the cards into her backpack. It's the last day of high school today, and once that last bell rings, she knows that she's never going to receive a day of education again.

She looks at the clock. It reads 5:17 A.M. The earliest one of her brothers wakes up is 6:15, so she always has to have breakfast ready by that time. Today, she has a different plan. Jamie agreed to make breakfast for her. She knows Jake won't like that she isn't there to serve it to him, but it shouldn't warrant a beating. She has a lot to do before school starts at 7:30.

She throws on her signature hoodie—a baggy, light grey one with a darker grey heart sewn over the top left—hoists her backpack over her shoulders, slips on her beaten up sneakers, and slips through the house and out the front door. To the right of the house, the Beta House, is the Pack House, with a large space of pavement in front of it for all of the cars. Surrounding them is thick woods with the driveway leading one way towards the main road to town. No one is up yet, besides the omega's in the Pack House kitchen.