Before the Wedding (Levi x Panicked Reader)

"Levi! Oh, thank goodness! There you are!" Hanji called, rushing down the hall.

Both Levi and Erwin turned to look at her as she jerked to a stop in her high heels, panting heavily.

"What's the matter, Hanji?" Erwin asked calmly. "It's almost time. All the guests are waiting inside."

Hanji wheezed, "I know. But (f/n) needs to talk to Levi right now!"

Levi's reaction must have been written all over his typically stoic face, because Hanji added quickly, "No, no, she's not calling it off. Nothing like that. She's just...well, she wants to talk to you."

"But isn't it bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding?" Erwin asked.

"I'll take care of it," Levi growled, already hurrying off to where he knew you'd be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You were alone in your dressing room, sitting on the floor in your wedding gown, knees pulled up to your chest, back resting against the wall next to the door. In her haste, Hanji had left it wide open, but you didn't care to close it – there was no one around to hear. You sniffled quietly, trying not to cry so you didn't ruin your makeup. Anxiety filled your body. You couldn't stop shaking.

You heard soft footsteps in the hallway, followed by a sigh. "(F/n)."

Your head snapped around, but you couldn't see him. He had stopped just on the other side of the wall that you now sat against. You faced forward again, suppressing a sob.

Another sigh, and then you heard the sounds of Levi sitting down against the wall, too.

"I'm sorry," you hiccupped. "I'll be ready in a minute. I just..."

"It's alright, (f/n). It can wait," he said gently. "Tell me what's wrong."

You sniffed again. "I want to marry you. It makes me so, so happy that I get to. But...I'm scared..." You wrapped your arms around yourself as you shuddered. "With the expeditions, and the titans...it never ends...and no one knows what will happen...and I'm scared..." A whimper escaped your lips. Your chest felt tight. "Levi, what if I get this one, perfect thing, only to have it ripped away the next time we go outside?"

Levi was silent for a moment. The two of you had talked about this several times already. Woken up sweating and screaming from night terrors because of it. Levi knew it scared you just as much as it scared him.

You heard a quiet brush as his fingers slid across the floor. "Here."

You fumbled around for a second before your hand found his. When it did, you breathed a soft sigh. Even though you couldn't see him, that small touch was a comfort.

"I'll do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen, (f/n)," he vowed. It was the best promise – the only truthful promise – that he could offer. Anything beyond that...you both knew how unrealistic it would be, to expect that you could live for each other by sheer force of will.

"You know it scares me, too," Levi continued gently. "That's why I didn't want to fall in love with anyone. But you, being the irresistible brat that you are..." He hummed. "I couldn't help but fall in love with you."

His thumb brushed across the back of your hand in soothing strokes. You tried to focus on that touch, tried to breathe in and out to its rhythm.

"I love you too, Levi," you whispered. "I love you so, so..." Your voice broke. You tried to stop yourself from shaking, but it was too much. Your whole body felt cold. Your heart was racing.

Levi squeezed your hand. "Hey..."

"I just couldn't..." you gasped. Your breaths were becoming increasingly shallow, increasingly rapid. "I just couldn't bear it if I lost you..." You were hyperventilating.

Levi moved. "I'm coming in there."

"B-but," you sputtered, "isn't it b-bad luck for the g-groom –"

"I don't care about bad luck," Levi growled. "My soon-to-be wife is having a panic attack, and I'm not going to let some stupid superstition keep me from her."

You smiled, in spite of the uncontrollable shivers that raked up and down your body. "Okay," you breathed, but he was already there, folding you in his arms.

You buried your face in the spot where his neck met his shoulder, pressing as close to him as possible. You didn't care about your hair, or your makeup, or your dress. In that moment, you just needed to feel him – needed the safety and comfort of his powerful body wrapped protectively around yours.

"I'm here," he assured you, stroking your back, your hair. "I'm here. I've got you."

As you listened to his soothing voice, your breathing gradually returned to normal. Your shaking eased, bit by bit, until your body was completely still.

Once you had calmed down, Levi cupped your face in his hands, tilting your chin up. Then he leaned in and placed his forehead against yours. "Look at you," he murmured. "You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. How could that possibly give me bad luck?"

A half-laugh, half-sob burst from your lips, and you grinned. You wrapped your fingers around his wrists, keeping him there just a moment longer, savoring the tenderness with which he held you.

"I think I'm okay now. Thank you," you whispered.

"Are you sure?" Levi asked delicately. "You can take your time. There's no rush."

You nodded. "I'm sure. Besides, I've already waited too long to marry you."

Levi smiled – one of those beautiful, rare smiles, only for you. He stood, then helped you to your feet. "I'll get Hanji to come back and help with your makeup."

"Is it really that bad?" Levi started to respond, but you quickly thought better of it. "Wait. Don't answer that."

With a light chuckle, Levi murmured, "Even so, you're still the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

The corner of your mouth quirked up. You gave his hand a squeeze. "Just go get Hanji. I'll see you soon."

Before you knew what was happening, Levi leaned in and gave you a soft peck on the lips. "See you soon." Then he was gone, leaving you with a blush in place of the kiss he stole.

As butterflies danced around your stomach, you sat down in front of the mirror, ready to become Mrs. (f/n) Ackerman.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: While you were having a breakdown, Hanji was distracting the guests with stand-up comedy. Just wanted to throw that out there. ;)