Chapter Forty-Seven | Back to London

The next morning, the Duke of York ate breakfast alone in the dining room. His father was going through his red ministerial box, and his mother ate breakfast in her bedroom. David didn't mind eating on his own, especially over the past few months. There were high tensions at Buckingham Palace since the queen's affair came to light. He took a sip of coffee as the door opened and Wilson stepped in.
    "Your Highness," Wilson bowed. "The group from London is back."
    "Thank you Wilson," David nodded, as he stood. "Where is the Royal Physician?"   
    "Sir Simon Ellis is waiting in Her Highness' bedroom."
    "Good. That will be all."
    "Your Highness."
    Wilson bowed and backed out of the room. David finished his coffee and left.

    David left through the front doors of Buckingham Palace where five cars drove up the laneway. A footman opened the back door of the first one and Sebastian climbed out, followed by JF. The cousins helped Darrel out of the car. She was still quite pale, and her lack of sleep was very clear from the bags under her eyes.
    "Your highnesses," David bowed.
    "This is no time for formalities," Sebastian informed. "She seems worse than last night. She needs to see a doctor."
    "The Royal Physician is waiting upstairs for her."
    "Thank you."
    With the help of a group of guards, Darrel entered the palace and went to her bedroom. Once they were inside, David turned to JF and shook his hand.
    "It's good to see you again," David smiled, as they headed inside. "I wish it wasn't under these circumstances."
    "If it makes you feel any better, I arrived before this happened," JF reminded.
    "I will warn you; my parents don't realize that you are here, and they still don't like you."
    JF rolled his eyes.
    "Why don't their majesties like you?" Sebastian asked.
    "His Highness and I shared a room during my semester abroad," JF explained. "One evening we decided to make our own dinner and I set fire to one of the school's wings. They expelled me shortly after."
    "They would have expelled me, but an English school can't expel the Prince of Wales without a backlash," David pointed out. "But...my parents believe that JF had a bad influence on me."
    "Because I never told them that using the kitchens was your idea."
    "And you'll never tell them, or I will have you arrested for treason."
    JF shot his friend a playful glare, while Sebastian snorted, then put on a serious face.
    "Can I get you two anything?" David offered.
    "I need coffee," JF requested. "I need to battle fatigue and a hangover."
    David laughed and lead his guests into the drawing room.

    An hour later, the men were still drinking coffee in the drawing room. David and JF were discussing their favourite memories from boarding school. Sebastian pretended to listen, but he was actually deep in thought. The door opened and King George the Fifth stepped in, followed by Sir Simon Ellis.
    "Your Majesty," Sebastian bowed, standing to attention.
    "I ran into Sir Simon in the hall," King George informed. "He's done assessing the princess."
    "How is she?"
    "Her Highness will be fine within a few days," Sir Simon explained. "I recommend that she stays in bed for at least two days, and then not to do anything strenuous for at least a week."
    "Can I go see her?" Sebastian asked.
    "She is sleeping now. Let her rest."
    "Thank you Sir Simon," King George nodded. "You have my permission to withdraw."
    "I will check on her later today," Sir Simon replied. "Your Majesty."
    Sir Simon sank into a deep bow and backed out of the room. Once the door closed, the king turned to JF and narrowed his eyes.
    "Your Excellency...you've returned," he observed.
    "Yes Your Majesty," JF said.
    "You will soon be a member of this family, so I will tolerate you."
    "Thank you sir."
    "If you set fire to the palace, or involve my son in any mischievous plans of yours, I will have you arrested for treason. Do you understand?"
    "Of course sir."
    King George glared at the young man and swept out of the room. JF let out a heavy sigh while David smirked and Sebastian chuckled.
    "Wow, he hates you more than he hates me," Sebastian grinned.
    "Why would he hate you?" David inquired. "I noticed his odd behaviour when he walked in."
    "It's a long story."
    "What did you do?" JF groaned. "You did something stupid, didn't you?"
    "Look, when Darrel was unable to see her family, I had to do something," Sebastian explained. "So I told the king and queen that I would call off our engagement if she was not allowed to see the Crawleys."
    "Estas loco."
    Sebastian gave him a stone-cold glare.
    "I'm glad it worked in your favour," David nodded. "But I would be careful if I were you. My parents know how to make deals, and they have never lost one."
    "Except for this one," Sebastian pointed out.
    "Well, remember this incident. My parents hate the Crawleys, but your union is more important to them for some reason."
    "Is it possible that they want their newfound daughter to be happy?" JF inquired.
    "Not at all."
    David left the room. Sebastian let out a heavy sigh and collapsed into an armchair. JF sat next to him.
    "Are you alright?" JF asked.
    "No," Sebastian replied. "I'm worried about Darrel."
    "She's going to be fine. Let's do something to distract you. We can go for a ride, or you can watch David and I do archery. I got very good at it during my semester abroad."
    "Thanks for trying, but I would like to be alone."
    Sebastian stood up and stormed out of the room.