Chapter 3: Future

Chapter 3:

A few days after Mizuki and Kei's fateful encounter, she was approached by an energetic third-year who wanted to recruit her for the volleyball club.

"You're Toma Mizuki right?" She beamed, her eyes sparkling as she held Mizuki's hands.

"Yes..." Mizuki replied slowly. The third-year had short, brown hair and she was way too forward. She did seem friendly though.

"I'm Michimiya Yui, the captain of the girl's volleyball club," She grinned widely, "I heard from the captain of the boy's volleyball club that you play volleyball!" 

Mizuki let out an exasperated sigh.

"It's nice to meet you Michimiya-senpai, but I have to tell you-" Mizuki was interrupted by the captain herself when she called over a couple of girls. 

They hurriedly ran over to them which caused other first-years to look their way.

"You're Toma Mizuki right?" One of them gasped, "I've seen some videos of you playing in middle school. You're amazing!"

"Thank you, but you should know-" Mizuki tried to explain only to be interrupted by Michimiya again.

"I really want our team to go to nationals this year," She stated confidently, "With you in our team, I think that's possible." She paused before staring at Mizuki with determined eyes.

"You can take us there."

"I'm flattered that you thought of me Michimiya-senpai, but I don't play volleyball anymore." Mizuki replied sheepishly. 

The girls around her frowned, but Michimiya did not.

"Then just come to our practice tomorrow for an hour. You can give us some pointers and then we promise not to bother you anymore. That won't hurt right?" She grinned.

"I-I guess...?" Mizuki stammered nervously.

She didn't want to disappoint them and if she attended the practice, they may back off.

"See you then!" The other upperclassmen waved goodbye to her as she walked back to her classroom. 

Mizuki hadn't played volleyball for an entire year. She still hadn't recovered from her father's death and playing volleyball didn't seem right without him cheering her on at the sidelines. As soon as she entered her class, she sat in front of a napping Tsukishima Kei. He seemed to be asleep but the blasting music that she heard emanating from his headphones told a different story.

"Get up Kei." Mizuki slapped his head as gently as she could.

"Class doesn't start for another 10 minutes," Kei grumbled, "Leave me alone."

"Why did you tell your captain that I played volleyball?" She took his headphones off which forced him to get up.

"It came up," He replied flatly, snatching back his headphones from her, "He said the captain of the girl's volleyball club was looking for first years so I mentioned you."

"I don't play volleyball anymore," Mizuki murmured, "I haven't played in a long time."

"So?" Kei raised an eyebrow, "I bet you're better than all of those girls combined. Your skills are stupidly amazing compared to them." 

Mizuki's eyes widened in surprise. He complimented her and it seemed like he meant it.

"Did I hear you correctly?" She gasped, "Did you just compliment me?"

He rolled his eyes before putting his earphones back on. "It'll be the only time I compliment you. Don't get used to it."

Mizuki smiled and got her notebooks out of her bag. Mina and Yamaguchi walked in together and it seemed like they were talking about the volleyball club. Yamaguchi had joined the club too, along with Kei. Kei didn't seem to be that excited with being in the club, at least that's what Mizuki noticed.