Chapter 31: At Peace

Mercedes

I've been awake all night. I can't sleep and neither can James. Cathy went to an art exhibition tonight. She said she wanted to go alone for some air or some shit. For someone who wants a tight bond with her husband she really brushes him to the side.

Well ever since she left he's been sitting in his office. I try to walk down the hall as quietly as I can. I stop before entering his office and hear him flipping pages. "What are you up to" I say as I walk in. "I think Cathy knows about us" he says and I automatically get annoyed.

"James if this person really wanted to expose us don't you think they would've" I say as I sit on his little couch. He looks out of the window in frustration. "Maybe they're waiting for the perfect time" he says biting his lip. "When's that" I ask.

"I don't know. But I think it's Franklin" he says turning around quickly. I quickly sit straight in my chair. "It makes sense. You rejected him and I beat the fuck out of him." he says with his hand on his cheek.

"James I didn't reject him. He never asked anything he just said some inappropriate things" I say fiddling with my hands in my lap. "Did you mention my name when you beat him up" I ask.

"That's what the whole fight was about" he says as though it was obvious. I shrug my shoulders as he underlines Franklin's name.

"What about Rebecca" he says looking at me with expectant eyes. "No way, she loves Cathy" I say. I heard all about they're friendship during my coffee date with Rebecca. "Yes, but she hates you" he says looking smart.

"James, exposing us will obviously hurt Cathy more than it hurts us. I don't think she'd do that" I say. "I still don't trust her" he says writing her name down.

"You know I'm right" I say folding my arms and rolling my eyes. "You're so cute when you're angry." He says pouting. "Fuck off" I say before standing up to leave. "Mercedes" he says before I leave. I turn to him as I lean against the doorframe. "One of my business partners are having a party on Friday. Cathy said I should invite you" he says fiddling with his pen.

"Do you want me to come" I ask as I lift my brow. "I know you feel uncomfortable in such situations so" he say but I interrupt him. "I'll sleep on it" I say before rushing to my room.

As I lay in bed I find myself wishing James would knock on my door. I wish to feel his lips against mine. To feel the heat of his body against mine as he slowly thrusts into me. He'd bend me over the counter as he fucked me hard. Or how he gripped my hair as I sucked his dick.

But he is Cathy's husband. I'm not a homewreker. I miss you x. I text Matthew. I know. I'm so pathetic sometimes.

James

"Hey babe" Cathy says sliding me a smoothie, as I come back from my jog. I give her a kiss as I gesture for her to sit on my lap. "You should join me" I say as I gult for air. "No thank you. I hate cardio" she says as she climbs off of me. "You're leaving already" I ask as she picks up her bag. "I have to work hard on this one. It's my final project before I take a break." she says looking shy. "Come here. I miss you" I say as I pull her close to me.

"I know baby" she says coming in for a kiss. "Don't forget. The interior designer will be coming in this afternoon to check out the nursery room" she says as she rushes to grab her stuff. "Hey Mercedes. You look pretty. Bye James. I love you" she says as she rushes out of the house.

I nearly choke on my smoothie as Mercedes walks into the kitchen. She's wearing blue bootleg tights that hug her curves and ass beautifully. Her top covers only her boobs and is sitting in place thanks to a knot at the back.

On top of her handbag she puts a gigantic straw hat and sunglasses. "What's with the outfit" I ask as she drinks her smoothie. "What about it" she replies casually. "You look different" I say and she looks at me. "Thanks" she says as her phone vibrates on the table. "Matthew's outside. Bye James" she says grabbing her bag and I follow her. As we walk out of the kitchen she turns to me.

"What are e you doing" she asks with a look on her face. "Walking you out" I reply and she bursts out in laughter. "You're not my father James. Don't you dare walk out of that door with me." she says and I lift up my hands as though I'm surrendering.

I'm still going to follow her to the door. If she's really going to be seeing this Matthew guy, at least I have to know who this twat is. As she climb into the car I stand in front of the door. "Morning mate" he says with his English accent as he waves at me. I wave back without a word as Mercedes sticks up her middle finger from the passenger seat. He looks familiar, I think to myself as they go out of the driveway.

As I sit in the chair following them to wherever they are going crosses my mind but I decide against it. Besides I've got the tracker.