16. Happiness.

Chitra sat still on the resting chair while Meenamma was plating her hair, decorating with several golden ornaments and flowers and she tried her best to think about everything other than that night, was that man caught? Maybe he had escaped as Arjuna never mentioned him today morning. Meenamma had been pestering her all day to know about everything that has happened that day, but how can she tell anyone that her step-sister was the one behind this? And also that man was the one whom she was supposed to get married to and was a reputed minister's son?

No one from her family came to visit her, neither her father nor her step-mother. Once again it was just Meenamma but the fact that no one cared about her pained her, was she that unlovable?

"Princess Chitra?" A soft knock on the door caught her attention, for a second she thought it was Arjuna but it was Vikram. She smiled and asked him to come inside. She was still in Arjuna's chambers but after their conversation in the morning, she didn't see him again.

"How are you feeling now?" Vikram asked as he stood by the door far away from her resting chair. A small frown made its way to her face, why was he standing in the corner? She noticed that there was no furniture around the room except the resting chair and she was using that only one. She immediately got up and sat on the bed.

"Brother, please take the chair."

His serious face broke into a small smile, "It's okay princess, I am just here to ask you a few questions regarding last night."

Chitra was not comfortable anymore, of course, Vikram was the sweetest person she knew but last night was a nightmare, and if she had a chance she would like to wipe that incident from her memories. She looked anywhere but not in his eyes.

"Can't you see she's uncomfortable about that topic?" Meenamma spoke in an authoritative tone which Chitra was not used to.

Vikram immediately felt guilty, probably she was still scared and he should have sent a female for this investigation, how can he be so reckless?

"I understand, it's very difficult for you, sister-

"Sister? How dare you address a princess like that? What is your rank in your kingdom huh?" Meenamma stood in front of him, trying to intimidate him and it was more than embarrassing for Chitra.

"Meenamma!! Vikram is like a brother-"

"Princess! Relationships are to be tied with people who are equal with your status and-"

"Meenamma, will step out for a minute?" Chitra asked, unable to handle how rudely she was insulting Vikram,

"But-"

"Please, go outside!"

And Meenamma left, shooting draggers through eyes towards Vikram, it would have been funny in any scenario but she just insulted Vikram whom Chitra regarded him as her brother.

"I apologize on behalf of Meenamma, brother." Her eyes filled with sadness as she said.

"No problem princess, elders know better sometimes-"

Chitra moved forward and caught his arm, he was the sweetest person in her life she ever knew and a brother she never had. She can't lose him because of Meenamma's stereotyped mind.

"You know that's not true, right? Old people might have more knowledge but the heart knows the truth-"

"What's happening here?" Arjuna's voice boomed with anger as he walked inside, his long strides and the sour face told Chitra that she was in trouble. But what did she do? All-day she was resting inside his chambers with Meenamma by her side.