Just a dream

She was my oxygen, now its hard to breathe.

•|•|•|•|•

“I’m sorry Dave!” He heard her yell sadly.

“What are you waiting for?!” he said pained, “Go away! Leave like you always do, but don’t come back. I don’t want to see your face”.

“You will be happy without me Dave” Kath said sadly, “goodbye…forever.

“No, Kath come back” Dave muttered in his sleep, “I’m sorry, please don’t leave. I love you”.

“it's too late” he heard a voice tell him. It was Kath. “No, it’s not” he mumbled, “what are you saying? Don’t go Kath, I’m coming, we will be together, I promise”.

“it’s too late” she repeated again and Dave shot up from the bed. “No” he found himself saying. He panted heavily and was drenched in sweat. He stared at the wall in front of him trying to calm his rapidly beating heart.

“It was a dream, just a dream” Dave realized and repeated but he was still feeling uneasy. He said a short prayer and laid on the bed. He tried to fall asleep but the dream had really scared him. He managed to fall asleep later.

The next day, Dave is bringing out a bag with him. His mom and Sam are following him. “Take care of yourself” Sam said, “you and Ayo. Make sure I talk to Kath when you are done, I will like to hear from that little firecracker”.

Dave’s POV.

I smiled, “okay”. I put the bag in Ayo’s car. We had decided to take Ayo’s car to save money. “You look upset, is something wrong?” Sam asked once we were out of mom’s earshot. Ayo leaned by the side listening to us.

“I just had a bad dream, it was about Kath” I admitted worriedly, “I don’t remember much but, it didn’t feel good at all”.

“Calm down dude, it’s just your mind playing tricks on you” Ayo said relaxed, “you have been thinking about her for days, it’s normal. We will get to Lagos soon and see her, then all your dreams will stop”.

I gave a small smile and closed the car boot. Ayo and I entered the car and waved goodbye to mom and Sam. Ayo drove away and the journey began. I opened my backpack that was in front of me and brought out a key. It was the same key Kath gave me for the time capsule thing. I am sure I can use it to enter the house.

I already had Kath’s house address with me so all these was easy. During the journey, I slept, ate, Ayo and I took turns driving and finally, we arrived in Lagos.

“Finally here” Ayo said in relief. He stretched his limbs all over. I felt relieved as well. I was close to Kath. I felt impatient and expectant. I couldn’t wait to see her.

“You know her house right” Ayo suddenly asked. To think he was only remembering such an important detail now.

“Yes Ayo” I answered dryly. As I drove, I realized something, I had never told Ayo the truth about Kath’s background. I guess it’s now or never. “There is something I have to tell you before we see Kath but don't freak out” I said.

Ayo frowned at me, “what news could make me freak out?”.

I took a deep breath and answered, “Kath is Don Okafor's daughter”.