episode one - two

driving through figure eight, i figured the group would drop me somewhere and get on with the rest of their day. but instead, john b kept driving over to the other side of the island.

"ever been to the south side before, willow?" he asked.

"no," i stated. "i haven't been anywhere really."

"well then, let me be the first to introduce you to the home of the pogues."

"pogues?" i echoed.

"the first thing you should know about outer banks is there's two groups. the kooks and the pogues. the kooks are the rich kids, who live on the other side. kie's technically from the kook side, but she's one of us. we're the pogues, pogies, pogue fish, the lowest member of the food chain."

i nodded, trying to decide whether or not it was worth mentioning that i would also, by definition, be a kook.

"so, the downside of pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. but, the upside of pogue life? we're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want." he smirked.

"sounds like a blast. but doesn't that make me a kook, then?"

the moment i asked, i wished i'd never even been born. the silence in the van was so thick i could've cut it with a knife.

"your family's rich then, huh?" jj asked.

tough question, dude.

"something like that."

"well, in my experience, it doesn't matter that much." kie said. "you're new, right? so that means there's still time to shelter you from the stuck up, egocentric, country club dwellers that are the kooks."

i stifled a laugh at her description of the kooks. leila and mike seemed nice enough, but i had only spent a grand total of three minutes at their house, clearly not enough time to know if they actually were.

"where'd you move from?" pope questioned.

chicago, boston, new hampshire, and indiana.

"chicago." i said, deciding to go with the city i was born in.

"ooh, city chick. that's hot." jj said, receiving multiple glares from the rest of the group.

"ignore him, we all do." john b advised. "we're gonna go out on the boat. you want in?"

"yeah." i smiled, probably the first real one in a while. "yeah i want in."

and the idea did sound good, until we actually got to it.

i had actually never been on a boat before, which i made glaringly obvious with my hesitance to get on when we reached the dock.

"it's alright, darling. you can hold my hand if you want to." jj smirked. and even though i knew it was just empty flirting, i was about ready to take him up on the offer.

"but what if it, you know, sinks or something?"

"can you swim?" john b asked, not even trying to hide his amusement.

"yeah, but what if i can't-" i started before being cut off by someone grabbing me around the waist. in the next second, i was in jj's hold, my arms wrapped around his neck and a high pitched yelp escaping me. he stepped off the dock and onto the boat.

"looky there," he smiled. "you're one the boat."

"fantastic." i mumbled. "you can put me down now."