Chapter 32 iSay Goodbye

As promised, Talon was waiting for Keeley when her shifted ended. She couldn't help but notice the looks he was getting from passing females. Not that she could blame them. He was quite a sight. He was casually leaning against the pier's handrail in black jeans and a black shirt with a long-sleeve button-down over top. The sleeves were pushed up to his elbows, showing off a black watch on his wrist.

Before she could ask where they were going, he grabbed her hand and directed her to his truck. He opened the passenger door and helped her get in. Fully expecting him to close the door, she let out a startled gasp when his hands grabbed the back of her neck and pulled her down for a hard, quick kiss.

"What was that for?" she asked when he released her.

Grinning, Talon pulled back and closed the door without answering. He jogged around the back of the truck and hopped in the driver seat. After pulling out of the parking lot, he reached across the center console and grabbed her hand. "I have a surprise for you."

She raised an eyebrow at his announcement. "I thought we were going to talk."

"We are," he reassured her, squeezing her hand. "But I want to show you something first."

Trepidation filled her. Glancing down at their entwined fingers, she asked softly, "Can't we do it after? I really want to talk, Talon." She needed answers and she was too afraid if he did something sweet and romantic she would never get them.

"It can wait. I found this great—" He faltered as he caught a glimpse of her solemn expression. "What's going on? I know we have more to discuss, but I thought..." His eyes turned a murky blue as concern darkened his face. "Is this about my friends? Because I set them straight about what happened. They know you mean more to me than some idiotic plan of revenge."

"That's not it, but it's nice to know you were finally honest."

If she hadn't been looking closely she would have missed his imperceptible flinch. He gave an audible swallow and then admitted, "I owed it to them and most importantly, I owed it to you to tell them the truth."

"And what about other truths?" she pressed.  

"What do you mean?"

She hesitated before saying, "Zach told me something."

He exhaled loudly and released her hand. Her fingers flexed as the urge to reach over and snatch his hand back overwhelmed her. To curb the desire, she shoved her fingers under her leg.

Grabbing the steering with both hands, he muttered, "Why am I not surprised? You know, I'm really tired of him being an issue between us."

"And you don't think I am?" she shot back.

Irritation clouded his face. "Then why are you letting it?"

She didn't want to get into it with him right here in the truck, but since he was pushing the issue she gave in. "Because I don't think you've been entirely honest about Claire," she confessed.

Talon stilled. "W-What—" He broke off as his voice cracked. Clearing his throat, he swallowed and tried again. "What exactly did your brother tell you?"

"Not much except that I should ask you. And I have to tell you, I've gone over all the facts and it's not adding up. I'm missing something—something big." She glanced over and frowned. "And your expression right now is only confirming my suspicions."

He attempted to smooth the agitation on his face, but it was too late. She already saw it. Knew there was more to the story than what he was letting on.

"So?" she prodded when he didn't speak.

"Let's not hash this out right now," he told her, a hint of desperation coating his words. "There's another geocaching site I want to take you too. Let's do that and then we can talk."