three

Steve didn't come back to the Avengers Mansion that night

Steve didn't come back to the Avengers Mansion that night. He had his own apartment, but he liked to visit to see how Natasha and Pixie were doing so he often visited. Rocket had left a few days after the Snap, choosing to help in space while Okoye stayed in Wakanda, and Clint had gone rogue. Natasha felt hurt that Clint, who was very much alive, had chosen to not confront her and instead went into hiding. But she knew he was suffering. He lost everything in the Snap – something that Natsha could have helped prevent. If he was angry at her, then he had every right to be. She knew it wouldn't be hard to track him down. Sure, he was also an assassin, but Natasha was better. She was raised and trained to be an assassin. But, she knew it wouldn't help either of them if she tracked them down and forced him to talk to her.

Pixie did her best to drag Natasha out of bed to do other things besides work and brooding. At best, Natasha could sleep for four hours if Pixie was sleeping with her, which she thought was a win since it was three hours more than what she usually got each night. Pixie did her best to help Natasha any way she could, but she never forced Natasha to talk about her feelings or do something she truly didn't want to do.
The next day, Natasha was eating the half-eaten apple pie from last night right out of the mold, while Steve's cookies were wrapped in foil and sitting on the kitchen island. Pixie was washing the dishes with latex gloves on because she hated the feeling of wet food on her hands and underneath her fingernails.

Steve walked in, shocked to see Natasha awake. Sure, she was awake sometimes when he visited, but usually, he would lounge around and wait for her to wake up. It didn't take long because Natasha seemed to know whenever someone was in the mansion.

He dropped his jacket and keys on the dining table, then walked over to the kitchen island where Natasha was sitting. "Is that apple pie?"

Natasha swallowed the pie in her mouth. "Yeah, it tastes really good. She made you cookies too."

Steve's eyes wandered to the plate before reaching over and unwrapping it to grab one and bite into it. "It's really good," he muttered through a mouthful.

Pixie giggled. "Manners, Captain."

He chuckled. "Sorry I didn't come by last night."

Pixie shrugged. "You're not obligated. But if it entices you, there will always be food for you whenever you come by."

"Oh, it definitely entices me," he replied, grabbing another cookie.

"Stop flirting with her," Natasha demanded, pointing her fork at him.

Steve's eyes widened jokingly as he stepped back after grabbing the whole plate of cookies. "Forgot you two are practically married."

Natasha rolled her eyes but smiled. "How are you?"

Steve raised an eyebrow. "Me? Probably better than you." He winced after he said that. "Sorry, didn't mean for it to come out like that."

Natasha shook her head "No, you're right."

"She puked again last night," Pixie chimed.

Natasha threw her a glare.

Steve sighed. "So I was right. Thinking about Clint won't make him come back - wherever he is."

"I know," Natasha whispered. "But he's my family."

"And so are we," Steve added. "We're here with you every step of the way. Plus, if you keep putting Pixie in a bad mood, she won't make any more food and I would hate for that to happen."

Natasha chuckled. "Yeah, that's true. I can kiss these pastries good-bye."

Pixie pouted. "You guys only want me for my cooking skills."

"Guilty," mumbled Steve through another mouthful of cookies.

Pixie scowled. "You're absolutely horrible, Steve. Bless America, my ass."

Natasha and he laughed, throwing back little insults and jokes at each other. It felt nice for Natasha, and she knew she had to thank Pixie and Steve for that. They were her family, but she only wished that they were all together instead of separated.

Natasha smiled softly as Pixie flicked her watered fingers at Steve who exclaimed in shock as he held the plate of cookies to his chest, hiding from her wet fingers. The two teased each other, their laughter filling Natasha's ears, and it was welcoming.