19. THE WRECKAGE

The Maheswaris who were inside ran to Sanskar's aid with some water which was sprinkled to bring Ragini to senses. This was miserable beyond expectation. No one had anticipated such a storm in their life.

Ragini opened her eyes and sat leaning to the pillar blankly. It took a moment for her to process the happenings and she glanced Sanskar as if to confirm it. The gloominess and tiredness she saw in the brothers is now well explained. She tried pulling her body upwards to get on her feet but felt weak for that. Sanskar held her close to him as he helped her to stand. Ragini left his hands and walked slowly towards the door when she felt herself freezing again but took slow steps forward defeating it. She kneeled at the place where Swara had kneeled earlier; extended her right hand which didn't cease to shiver. As she neared to touch the feet, she pulled it to herself with a jerk, her silent tears turning out to sobs. Once again she composed herself, touched the feet, closing her eyes and mumbled, "Dadi maa..."

***

The Maheswari family was mourning the unexpected death of the eldest persons of their family – Deendayal Gadhodia and Parvathy Gadhodia. They fell in short of words which could soothe the pain of loss for Ragini and Swara. Both the sisters were sitting numb hugging their mother as much tightly as possible as if she would also leave them on loosening the hold. Sharmishta's face was pale, tear-stricken due to long hours of crying. Dida couldn't handle the sudden news of accident, due to which she fainted. Sanskar and Laksh stood in the corner not able to figure out what to be done at the moment. The uncomfortable silence in the house was creating a worry in Maheswaris.

"Always irresponsible and careless and did you see what it caused? No you leave all these things and breathe some fresh air. From how many days your brain is stuffed with all these things, Shona?"

"Laado, think about yourself sometimes."

"Sharmishta, you gave the love Laado has always craved for."

Dadaji was caressing and showering love on Ragini and Swara.

Dadi and Dadaji accepted Sharmishta and showered her with blessings. Their celebrations.

Deendayal Gadhodia, Parvathy Gadhodia, Shekhar Gadhodia, Sharmishta Gadhodia, Ragini Gadhodia, Swara Gadhodia, Laksh Maheshwari and Sanskar Maheshwari – The Happy Gadodhia Family.

The talks about cremation brought back the senses in Sharmishta, Ragini and Swara. Their sobs returned, this time louder.

"Dadi maa.." Ragini mumbled again. "Dadaji." She called out patiently as they would react to her. "Dadi maa, I'm sorry if I did any mistakes. Please don't punish me like this. Tell me no, what I did. Please Dadi maa; please, please.." Ragini's pleas became louder by each passing moment. "If not to me, talk to Swara. Or are you disappointed with both of us? Swara, you call them, no? Dada ji will listen to you. Both of you can't do this." Ragini broke down completely in the hands of Pari who came besides holding her. "Bhabhi, you tell them, no."

Ragini's wails made Swara and Mishti's misery more. Swara moved closer to her Dadi and Dadaji, and pecked their forehead silently requesting them to listen to their Laado. 'Dadi, please Dadi... Dadaji. Please don't leave us like this. We love you. Please don't leave us.." She mumbled in between her sobs.

"Swara, call her no.." Ragini said holding Swara by shoulders. "We can't let them go like this. They can't do this. May be they are upset with me. You call them. Dadi Maa..." Ragini said frantically. Swara cupped Ragini's face who broke down in her hold, embracing her sister letting the grief out.

"Papa.." Ragini whispered in between. "May be they will listen to Papa."

Swara's pain increased as she saw her sister not able to cope up with the truth. It was Dadi, who always filled the void of a mother in Ragini's life; who gave upbringing and values to her; who made her Ragini.

"Papa... Where is he?" It is then they noticed their father's absence.

"Maa, where is Baba?" Swara asked as dreadful thoughts rushed into her mind. Sharmishta was sitting with no reaction; tears continued to flow down her eyes.

"Sanskar, where is Papa?" Ragini shook Sanskar hysterically.

"You can't take them away in Baba's absence." Swara yelled as the bodies of their grandparents were about to be taken outside for cremation.

"Our Papa will come. They are his parents. He needs to meet them. How can you do this?" Ragini joined her sister; their eyes red due to pain and anger.

"Ragini" Sanskar came and held Ragini while Swara was held by Laksh. "We can't wait till Papa comes. We can't do this to Dadi and Dadaji." Sanskar and Laksh tried to console the sisters as their loud wails continued to echo in Badi. Sharmishta was left numb with all the events.

***

Swaragini's tears gushed down seeing their father through the glass door of ICU. Numerous gadgets were attached to him through wires, which turned out to be miserable for the sisters to endure. After the funeral ceremony in which Sanskar and Laksh lit the pyres, they took Swara and Ragini to the hospital were Shekhar was admitted; in a comatose state to which he slipped due to excessive blood loss.

***

Two months passed by. The terrible accident broke the Gadhodia family badly. It sent their Dadi and Dadaji far away from them; father in an unconscious state. Shekhar had a quick recovery from coma but the spinal cord injury he had resulted in 'Paraplegia', lower body paralysis. Sharmishta chose to stay in Badi with Shekhar, Dida and the memories. She thought of rejoining her job for their livelihood, but Swaragini opposed it. They took turns to stay at Badi and Maheswari Mansion. The efforts of the Maheswari family to bridge the loss of Gadhodia family turned positive as the lives returned normal to an extent.

But the one who was affected the most was Ragini. She turned silent since then; responding the minimal. The fear loss had got imprinted deep in her heart and brain. She would call Sanskar, Badi and Maheswari Mansion (if she is in Badi) multiple times a day to ensure everyone's safety. Sanskar and Swara were is distress seeing Ragini's condition. She never let a chance for them to talk with her. No one could say that, it was this Ragini who used to be the one giving life to their home. Her painful nonchalance made everyone anxious of something untoward ahead.

***

One more month passed by. Lives were totally back to normal in Maheswari Mansion and Badi. Ragini appeared better these days yet she remained silent. She spent time with the family, Swara and Sanskar but seemed lost in thoughts always.

"Sanskar.." She called out as Sanskar was getting ready for office. He turned to face her to see a worry across her face. "Do you have to go to office today?" She asked.

"What happened Ragz? Well, today....." He was interrupted by a call. He excused himself to attend it. "There is Lady Hitler's interrogation today." He rolled his eyes. "Discussion about the next week's meeting in Lucknow which I'm attending. So I should be there today." Sanskar pouted on his helplessness.

"It's okay." Ragini gave a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Everything okay? If it's something important, I can cancel it."

"No. It's nothing. I just felt like.." She sighed. "Don't regret." She said holding Sanskar's hand following which he bid bye to her.

Ragini heaved a sigh in distress closing eyes. She opened her eyes immediately with a jerk, her breathing getting irregular, as flashes of Dadi, Dadaji and Shekhar got into her imagination. She moved to the balcony and stared the sky, letting few tears stroll down; her face hardened with determination.

SHE'S DONE BEING LIKE THIS!

___________________________________

Hey guys!! Well, I think it didn't turn bad as I thought. I don't know about what is following.

Thank you and lots of hugs and kissies for those read, voted and commented on last part.

I was genuinely happy seeing that some of you were excited at the end. It was just an attempt. Thank you soooo much.

Do comment on this part too. It makes me feel so good to hear what you all feel reading what I have written.

Well, I did a lot of bak-bak. So Bye for today.

Stay Safe! With Love

Sam