Chapter Forty ~

I woke up but refrained from opening my eyes. A soft mattress supported my body instead of a dirt floor and layers upon layers of blankets covered my warm body instead of just the clothes on my back. I felt clean and, for the first time in a month, safe.

I rose up and saw that I was in my bedroom back home. I grabbed my skin and gave myself a light pinch, wondering if I was just dreaming of being back at home when I was still laying on a dirt floor in the prison under Desdemona's castle. The room was dark, making me realize it was the middle of the night and I sighed. I just sat and took everything in, grateful I was back home. I noticed a small flame flickering by the doorway and the smell of mint circulated the air. A gleaming pair of eyes stared at me and I gulped. "Jeon?"

"Your Highness?"

I sighed, relieved. "What time is it?"

"It's one in the morning," he answered, his brown eyes reflecting the candle's flame. Normally he'd be outside my bedroom and in the hallway, but he must've moved to be in here to keep watch over me after everything happened.

I leaned back onto the bed, staring at the dark expanse above me. "Is everyone back?" I asked, thinking of his friends. Hoseok must be worried sick.

"Yes, Your Highness."

And that was enough for me to fall back asleep.

***

When I woke again, it was around noon. Jungkook was still where he had been in my now bright room. I asked him how long I had been asleep and he told me that I was out for two days, occasionally waking up and looking around dazed before slipping into unconsciousness once more.

"Last night was the first normal conversation I've had with you since we got back," he sheepishly added. "All the other times you've just asked about nonsense."

I nodded, not feeling embarrassed at all. I went to turn and get out of bed but Jungkook acted oddly at this action. "Are you wanting to get up? I'm supposed to get the others if you are. Jin-hyung said you need to take it easy for a while."

I smiled. "Of course." I picked up my pillows and stood them up so I could sit up and lean against them. "I guess I'm ready to get up, then."

Jungkook scurried off and shortly returned with a few others.

"Your Highness," Hoseok gasped as he saw I was awake. He pushed through the bedroom door and came over to me in a mad dash. He slung his arms around my body and hugged me close. "I know I said I wouldn't ever trust again, but I trust you. And I never got to tell you that, so when we found out that you were over there, I thought I'd never get to let you know." I heard a sniffle and he pulled away. "This is what happens when you don't have me right beside you all day."

I grinned. "Please don't cry, Hoseok. It's okay." I grabbed his hand and gave it a small, reassuring squeeze.

I looked at the doorway and saw Taehyung peeking in with Jimin beside him, clutching a necklace that was always hidden underneath his shirt. It was a silver cross, apparently his mother's. Hoseok said it was one of the only things he had with him to remember his parents.

"How are you?" Taehyung asked, his voice quiet and timid. "I knew you hated being dirty and I'm the only one allowed to help you change, so I got you cleaned. I'm sorry if you-"

"Thank you," I interjected. "You're not in trouble, Taehyung. How are you, Jimin?"

The butler jumped hearing his name, but he gave me a small smile. "I think I should be asking you that question, Your Majesty. So, how are you?"

"I'm good," I answered. "But I asked about you."

He looked shy at the attention and he wrung his hands as he seemed to ponder his response. "I'm alright if you are, Your Majesty."

I couldn't see any others lurking in the room beyond the bedroom aside from Jeon who was walking around aimlessly as if he didn't know where he was. "Where are the others? Are they okay?"

"Jin-hyung is supposed to be fixing you lunch," Hoseok stated. "Namjoon is gathering the mail that came in this morning and Yoongi is trying to find the cat you let in. We think he's responsible for knocking over a few vases."

I nodded, but questions began to lurk into my mind. How did they know I let the cat in? And why is Namjoon only checking today's mail and not this past month's mail altogether? I decided to save those questions for later since I heard a door open and Jin's voice filled the room.

"Move, move," the oldest instructed. Jimin and Taehyung moved out of the doorway as Jin came in, holding a fold-up tray and a silver platter balancing a few bowls, plates, and glasses. His eyes were narrowed in annoyance as he came over and set up the tray over my lap. "Brunch in bed, Your Majesty. You're far too weak to go up and down these stairs like you're used to. You're malnourished and dehydrated, so I'm not leaving until you eat everything here." With that, he began to unload all the food he had brought upstairs with him. Everything was steaming hot and smelt wonderful. I had forgotten how much I missed his cooking. "You were tiny to begin with, Your Majesty, but this past month hasn't done anything to help you."

I marveled at the feast he had brought up – eggs, fruits, and biscuits littered the tray and my mouth watered. Jin stepped to the side once I picked up the fork that had been placed neatly to the side. "I wanted to wake you up during these past two days so you wouldn't get any worse, but I think you went into shock and your body did what it thought was best. I believe you'll make a good recovery if you just take things easy and pick up your old habits. I also did my best to clean the wounds you had and bandage them up."

I would've responded, but I was too busy scarfing down the food he had prepared for me. Hoseok spoke for me, instead. "How long do you think it'll take?"

Jin shrugged. "It depends. I'm estimating that she lost over ten pounds, but it could be more. You know, when we first got here two years ago, I never took into account her size and tried to match the amount of food I served her to that. I just served her the same amount as I did you guys – which is a lot for someone her size. I remember realizing this after dinner and I expected to have seven clean plates and one that was still full of food. However, I was met with eight clean plates, and I didn't bother correcting anything with the next meal I cooked."

"No one can resist your cooking, hyung," Jimin stated, leaning against the doorway as he watched me finish one plate of eggs. "She eats fast, too."

"Stop commenting on her eating habits," Taehyung scolded. "Let her eat in peace, would you?" He turned to leave and Jimin shortly followed, bidding me goodbye.

I looked up at Jin and pointed to a plate that had rolls covered in a thick syrup. I hadn't ever had anything like that before. "What are these?"

Jin grinned. "I cooked some rolls and covered them with icing and cinnamon. I didn't have much of anything else to cook a dessert with, so I hope that satisfies your sweet tooth."

I gave him an odd look. "I don't think feeding me sweets, though I do love them, will help me recover. What's the occasion?"

He looked at Hoseok, who just smiled and went to say something, but Jeon burst through the door, a bright look on his face as a smile stretched across his cheeks. "Happy belated nineteenth birthday, Your Highness!"

---

I hope everyone is doing okay during this troubling time <33