Chapter 70

Aelia's pov

-

I spun around and walked towards the rest of the paintings. My eyes trailed over their texture.

The tone of the painting is muted, the style reminiscent of Monet. Each stroke had a smudging quality that rendered the image watery, like a reflection in a rippled puddle. The scene is a street, London I'll bet, the umbrella bearing pedestrians battle against rain and the red double-deckers and black cabs rumble by. It reminds me of Oxford Street, looking out of a rain-splattered window at the rivers of people that moved in each direction. Like in this painting they moved so randomly, pushing against one another, flowing, like water. 

And walked through the halls again and was captured by another. The painting dominates the walls, every colour is bold and painted with such precise lines that it almost looks like a mosaic. They are curved yet sharply defined; they seem to stable but tumble at the same time. Like me I think, so stable but always in free-fall inside. I am soft but can lampoon people who spark my anxieties without meaning to. I am bright but I often feel painted onto the background, like there really isn't anything of substance inside. I hope there is. I hope there is more meaning in my bones than tumbling colours, chaotic and shallow.

I entered in the next room and saw different molds of items. The gems of times past, the expressions of the human soul that echo our own. I wondered between them, taking in the curves of each, letting my brain think as perhaps the makers did. To me, each one of them was a tiny time machine, or perhaps a window into other eras and they ways they related to God and nature.

I spent a whole hour walking around the building endlessly. Honestly, I was starting to get bored. Not that the history was boring, I just had other stuff on my mind.

"You okay Aelia?" Dani asked as she approached me

"Yeah I'm okay, thanks" I smiled

"It's taking a hard time to accept it isn't it?" She questioned, I slowly nodded

"She really did try to tell you. She just didn't know how. It's not everyday you say something like that" Dani mumbled

"I understand" I said

"Well let me take this opportunity to come clean. I'm actually not human either" Dani said. My brain stutters for a moment and my eyes take in more light than I expected, every part of me goes on pause while my thoughts catch up. 

"You're also a demon?" I whispered

"No I'm actually a vampire" I-

"Don't worry, I don't want your blood" she joked. I-

"It's okay to speak you know?" she laughed

"I- Sorry, I just have to get accustomed to these surprises" I said. Honestly I was starting to feel overwhelmed. First demons, now vampires. What next? God?

"She really does love you Aelia. She's never acted like this before and I know her for thousands of years-" thousand. Of. Years. She's been around for thousands of-

"I- I need some air. Thank you so much Dani" I smiled sweetly before making my way towards the exist.

Air felt like it was finally reaching my lung the second I stepped out of the building. I took deep breaths and slowed my anxiety. I noticed the church was right next door. My feet seemed to take control and carried me forward. My thumbs rested on the umbrella and unhooked the lock. It brought it over my head and headed towards the church

I walked onto the green grass of St Mary's. The red wooden doors looked heavy but it was actually light. I pushed it open and was met with a red carpet leading to the podium.