Chapter 1 - The Ripples

Chad's pool was the size of the ocean, Evie thought. After missing Cotillion to meet Audrey in some faraway land, Prince Charming's son insisted on throwing the after-party so he wouldn't "lose his rep".

"You'd think with a pool this size he'd make it into a pool party," Carlos remarked, creeping up behind the blueberry princess. "We're still pretty wet from Uma's show."

"He made some kind of disclaimer before we came inside. It was like 'something something upholstery'." Evie snickered. "What a guy. And what a castle."

"Don't be hard on yourself," the shorter boy assured. He placed his gloved hand on her shoulder. "You're going to do great things in life. You'll have a place twice this size someday, I'm sure."

Evie gave him an almost embarrassed smile, blush surfacing to her cheeks. He gave her a squeeze before heading back inside through the ten-foot-tall mahogany doors.

Oh, how she'd love to dive into the crystal, cyan water, clothed, and everything. She dreamt of floating in it, staring up at the night sky and allowing her stress and anxiety to drift away like the ripples. But she knew better than to let her outfit become subject to chlorine damage or any other chemicals the pool might have.

Instead, she gently removed her heels and placed them beside her as she sat down on the chilled cement edge. The gap between the edge of the pool and the water below was deep, allowing her to dangle her legs over the side without getting her feet wet. She glanced over her shoulder momentarily, finding Jay, Carlos, Doug, and others in a crowd of partying teenagers inside the booming castle. She worried the blaring music might be enough to bring the old building crashing down, but the thought quickly subsided.

Just as she brought her field of vision back to the clear water, the mix of pop and alternative suddenly spilled into the air outside. A magenta haired, enchanting, beautiful woman, Evie thought, poked her head out of the castle to see a lonesome friend enjoying the serenity of the outdoors. Mal quickly shut the doors again, allowing the space near the pool to remain peaceful.

"Feeling a little danced-out?" Mal asked, making her way over to Evie on three-inch wedges.

The blue-haired girl inhaled deeply, hands folded in her lap, and peered up at the woman who had invaded her private moment with the pool.

"I'm just tired," she responded easily and truthfully.

"Do you mind a little company?"

"If it's you, never."

Mal smirked at Evie's playful remark and took a seat on her right. One by one she began removing pieces of jewelry, starting with the rings and bracelets and eventually taking off her small tiara.

"Not a fan of the accessories?" Evie joked.

"Not these," the magenta haired girl replied, gathering them in a small pile beside her. "They're not quite me."

"Right, you just made a speech about embracing your Isle side. At least Ben sees it."

"Sees it but doesn't act on it. He said he planned the stained glass window before I ran away, but if he was so invested in my background, we shouldn't have fought in the first place."

"Yeah, but you're good now, right?"

Mal leaned her head on Evie's shoulder instinctively.

"I just don't think he understands that part of me, E." She picked at her nail polish out of habit. "Not like you do."

A smile found its way onto Evie's lips. She reached to grab Mal's hand, stopping the shorter girl from fidgeting and casually intertwined their fingers. Daringly, Evie stroked the back of her friend's hand with her thumb. Mal's attention fixated on the subtly flirtatious behavior while the blue-haired girl eyed the jet black sky dappled with white and golden stars.

Then she turned back to face the girl whose hand she brushed delicately, her skin as smooth as a rose petal. Mal tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear with her free hand. Picking her head up, she glanced at her lap momentarily before resting her gaze on Evie's soft features. The taller girl turned her head to meet her friend's eyes. She felt her heart warm as if it had been touched by the sun.

"I love you," Evie whispered tenderly, catching Mal by surprise. A gentle breeze swept across the yard, a dulled scent of floral perfume lingering in the air.

The phrase, though common, struck the shorter girl differently. Happily and mildly perplexed, she replied, "I love you." She turned away briefly, almost awestruck at their exchange. Mal caught a glimpse of fireflies flickering in the open backyard. Their serene glow slowly put her mind at ease. She felt inclined to take a deep breath, the fresh air a true privilege in Auradon.

"Do you ever think that true love could come more than once in a lifetime?" Mal's question, breaking the peaceful silence that had formed, was only half-serious.

"Maybe," Evie replied optimistically. "Something—or someone on your mind?"

The magenta haired girl chuckled.

"No, just my... just my boyfriend."

"I don't believe you."

"You don't have to."