Chapter Eight : Passing Notes

"Pssssttt!" Sami spits quietly at the same time a flying object hits me in the head.

"Ouch!" I mumble under my breath as I reach down to grab the folded notebook paper laying on the carpeted floor by my foot.

Trenton is staring at you.

Rolling my eyes, I quickly scribble a response.

Omg. No, he is not. Want to come over after school?

I fold the note back and fling it over to Sami sitting in the desk parallel to mine. She brushes back her fierce locks as she opens the note.

Statistics was the class for passing notes. Our teacher, D.C., short for Dwayne Cameron, cared more about our test grades than our behavior in class. He felt that, "If you can goof off in class and pass, good for you. If you can't, that's your problem." As long as you were passing, you could get away with a lot.

I felt a light tap on my left shoulder. It was the only person who could reach me. The same person who sat behind me every day in this class, Trenton. I turned to meet his warm eyes as he handed me a note of his own. Trenton and I occasionally passed notes, but not near as much as I did with Sami.

As I unfold the paper, I bit my lip suppressing a grin.

Passing notes in class? Naughty girl. 😉

My stomach flutters at the sight of his note. Naughty girl? Where was his mind at? Unsure of how to respond, I quickly scribble.

HYPOCRITE

Without turning around, I slide the note on his desk with my right arm just as another note lands on my desk.

While opening Sami's note, an audible snort from behind me triggers a smile across my face.

Looking down, I read Sami's note.

I wish. Mum has plans for us. Stroll on the town. Shopping. The usual I'm-guilty-that-I-don't-spend-time-with-my-daughter bonding. Feel free to come save me.

Sami's family was complicated. Her mother was a wealthy businesswoman with ties to a major company in Ireland. She traveled for work constantly, so when she was home, she demanded Sami spend every waking second with her. Sami's dad was kind of just there. He doesn't really work much, other than self-producing his music. His parenting style is distant. He wants to give Sami her 'distance' to do her own thing. She doesn't mind because she was the type of person to enjoy being alone.

I on the other hand, can't bare to be alone for too long. I contradict myself because I don't always want to be around people, but at the same time, being completely alone is dangerous for me. Dangerous in the sense that I dwell in my thoughts and plunge into dark places.

It's okay. I understand. Rain check.

I passed the note back to Sami and open the note Trenton slid on my desk while I was writing.

Ouch. You got me.

I smirked while writing back.

Do you want to come over tonight? After Garvey leaves?

I flashed a quick smile as I turned to put the note on his desk.

Garvey doesn't mind if I had people over, in fact he enjoyed having Sami for dinner, and he let her stay after he left for work. I'm sure how he would feel about Trenton staying after he left for work, so I haven't ever tried it. Garvey doesn't have many rules, but I could see him not being fond of the idea. My need to avoid confrontation convinces me to have Trenton over after Garvey left rather than causing a whole awkward ordeal.

Trenton drops his note on my shoulder causing it to slide down into my lap. I quickly open it.

See you tonight.

Relieved that I won't be alone, I tucked his note in my front pocket. My nerves started to rev up knowing what happened last time he came over. Hopefully tonight won't end the same.

Trenton was always asking for more when I didn't have more to give. This was the source of any disagreement we ever had. He wants a girlfriend. Scratch that. He wants me as his girlfriend. I'm just not in a place to make that kind of commitment.

Instantly, guilt washes over me as an image of Alister crosses my mind. His ice blue eyes send a shiver down my spine.

Enough! I scold myself and turn my focus onto the movie.

The rest of class and the bus ride home was a blur. Since I was one of the last stops, it was already 4pm by the time I got home.

"Eh, Alex? That you?" Garvey hollers from the back of the house.

"Ahyah." I plop my book bag on the floor by the door. "I live to see another day."

"Atta girl!" He grins while entering the kitchen wearing overalls and work boots.

"How's mac and sauce for dinner?" I beam while tying my hair in a low pony with a black elastic.

Mac and sauce was the first meal I learned how to cook. A few years back, I was in a home where the foster parents didn't care if we had balanced meals, so we had to get creative. Mac and sauce was born by my attempt to make spaghetti with macaroni noodles. I am sure some people make it that way intentionally, but for me it was a reminder of where I have been, and a comfort to know that I don't need to depend on anyone.

Garvey's tone shifts to defensive. "You know you don't have to make dinner for me?"

"Yes. I'm making it anyways so you might as well have some." I flash a reassuring smile. Whether it was tinkering in his man-shed or logging long nights, Garvey worked non-stop. In admiration of his dedication to offering a home for kids like me, I didn't mind pitching in more around the house.

"Well. Throw in some garlic bread, and we got ourselves a deal." Garvey chuckles.

Placing my hands firmly on my hips, I affirm, "Deal!"

Without a word, Garvey heads to the living room to tinker with his fishing gear sprawled on the wooden coffee table.

I rummage through the kitchen cabinets to gather the ingredients. The blue packaging of the macaroni noodles reminds me of Alister's eyes. His glacier blue darts shoot through my mind, stealing my breath. I grip the counter to steady myself as I remember the smile, he gave me at lunch.

Frustration courses through my veins. The lack of control in how my body responds to him scares me. Questions ruthlessly pound my temples. Ugh. I just need to find out why is he so weird, what he knows about me, and where he got his information. There is nothing else I can do about it tonight, so I will file these questions away for later.

The water heating on the stove started to boil, so I dumped the noodles in. While stirring the steaming pot, I stare into the vat of liquid and watch the noodles dance.

An urge bubbles up from deep within my gut. An urge I too often suppress. With so many unanswered questions, perhaps it's time I get some answers.

Clearing my throat and bracing myself, I direct my voice to the living room, "Hey, Garvey?"

"Ahyah, that's me." Garvey answered as he shuffled into the eat-in kitchen and sat at the round table.

I lock eyes with him for a moment, willing him to read my mind and trying to read his.

"Alex. What?" Garvey becomes concerned.

Swallowing the massive lump in my throat, I muster up enough courage to ask, "Where are my parents?"