part nine

hannah's pov

i woke up, extremely confused for that matter, before realizing where i was. jj's house.

i straightened the covers on the bed i had slept in. i had lied on top of them in fear of not wanting to get too comfortable. i'm not sure whose room this was but it looked like it hadn't been used in months considering the amount of dust on the furniture.

i crept out of the room and gazed at the view through the window, the sun was rising over the water. it looked welcoming outside now compared to the dark clouds, rain, and wind from yesterday.

i decided to go out, stepping onto the porch and looking around. my first glance at the yard was not as inviting as i once remembered it.

a tree had fallen and there was trash everywhere, random pieces of plastic, a broken umbrella, some shards of glass. i couldn't believe my eyes at the mess i was seeing.

"first pogue-style post hurricane wreck you're witnessing right here," a voice suddenly said behind me, making me nearly jump out of my skin.

i turned around to face the blonde boy that was taunting me only just last night. he chuckled as he swung from the door frame and jumped down to the ground.

he strolled over to the boat, beginning to throw the branches off that had collected on top of it.

"ki's awake," he spoke again, "once she gets dressed she'll take you home."

i nodded my head and turned around to start walking back towards the door. i stopped in my tracks to look back at the blonde for a moment.

"jj?" i called. he looked up, replying with a hum.

"thank you," i paused, "for yesterday."

he pulled his lips into a tight line before giving me a curt nod, and with that i turned back around and into the house.

kiara met me inside and then led me out to her car, her climbing into the drivers seat and me on the opposite side.

before i closed the door i was able to hear a part of jj and pope's conversation.

"damn the bitch did good," jj said, referring to the hurricane and the destruction it had left.

"yeah," pope agreed. "not as good as agatha though."

i wondered what he was talking about and who agatha was, but kiara suddenly cut me off from my thoughts to ask where she should be heading. i gave her quick directions before she started the car and drove off.

we rode in silence for most of the way there, soft music playing from the radio. she pulled into my driveway and just as i was grabbing the door handle to leave she spoke.

"wait... doesn't nadine harlyn live here?" kiara asked.

"uh yeah, yeah she's my aunt."

"you moved in with your aunt? parents too?" she questioned.

"just me and her right now," i replied. kiara nodded her head and as just as i was reaching for the door again she said something else.

"nadine's kind of the town looney bin," she chuckled, "did you know that?"

i laughed softly, "yeah she's kind of a nut job, but she's not around for the most part. i don't know where she goes most of the time, off with her hippie friends or something like that." this made kiara giggle even more.

"thanks for the ride," i said.

"yeah," she responded, giving me a nod. "i would say see you around but i don't think jj's gonna want you around again."

i blew some air out of my nose at her comment and offered her a small smile before getting out of the car. i waved as she pulled out of the driveway and i watched her car vanish into town.

"aunt nadine!" i called once i entered the house. my voice echoed through the walls of the large home. being in here alone gave me the creeps most of the time but i learned to deal with it so far.

i walked up the sizable staircase and into my room. i lied down on my bed, sighing loudly.

i couldn't get my thoughts to stop, it was a fault of mine. i was always over-analyzing, over-thinking, over-doing. i was coming to understand the whole kooks and pogues thing.. well coming to terms with it more than understanding it.

i took offense to jj's words at first. i'd never been someone that people disliked because kindness was something i was heavily taught growing up.

i soon came to a realization though, that jj was not cold towards me because of who i was as a person, but because of how much money i had. i guess that's just the way things rolled around here.

i walked back down to the kitchen after thinking about the blonde haired boy for a moment too long and i poured myself a glass of water. i opened the doors to the patio and watched the boats drive by on the bay, one of my favorite past-times.

i let my mind wander to something my grandma had once told me. she said, "life is a repeated cycle of getting lost and then finding yourself again. there are many smaller cycles within that cycle where you get lost to a smaller degree and then remember yourself again. sometimes you do it to yourself on purpose, consciously or unconsciously. every time you get lost it is so that you can learn something or experience something from a different perspective."

ive let those words sit with me everyday since the first time she told me them, and the multiple times she would repeat them to me.

i was lost right now, i'd have to admit it. i've been lost for a while now, not exactly sure where my place was in life, where i necessarily fit into the whole scheme of things you call life.

but i hope i was on the right path. i hope i was on the right path to finding myself again.

-

authors note:

i hope you are all enjoying the story so far! im really putting a lot of time and effort into it and i can promise the story line to come is very exciting so it would mean a lot if you could save this into your libraries and vote!

also this is a slowww burn romance but i promise you will start to see it more obviously soon!