Chapter 145: Longing Chulian

In every Spring Festival, Xiang Zihui would be pulled by the blind Zhao Chulian. She will talk all along their way towards Tao Courtyard, bragging that the lucky copper coin will be her's. Almost all of the rice balls were eaten by her but there are no signs of the coin.

He recalled only one rice ball had been half eaten by him and the lucky copper coin is there. Xiang Zihui never wanted her to be upset thus, he placed it on her bowl.

"Ah Lian, the copper coin is in your place. Stop eating already or you'd be fat." he helplessly said as she would pout but the news of the coin being found by her is a great thing. It means good luck once an individual found the copper coin in their rice balls.

Xiang Zihui shook his head in amusement, he had been taking care of her for seven years already. He took a sip at his wine before lazily playing over the food in his plate, his gaze suddenly settled at the rice ball. Xiang Zihui rested his head at the back of his palm with a blank stare on the food.

The generals and commanders watched him torture the food on his bowl, shooting a confusing gaze as if saying Xiang Zihui had been weird. After the poor rice ball was deformed, he found the copper coin inside. Xiang Zihui's lips rose into an arc when his subordinates suddenly shivered. Whenever their Crown Prince smile, it meant disaster. Whenever their Crown Prince showed discontent, it meant suffering for a whole life.

As if sensing their gaze Xiang Zihui glanced at them. "What?"

They dare not answer but a young officer bravely asked. "C-Crown Prince, you just- just smiled.", the generals gulped at how he voiced out his thoughts.

His gaze towards them were indolent with half lidded eyes. "Can I not smile?" he asked nonchalantly but the corner of lips were slowly tugged downwards.

"Master!" a shadow guard abruptly knelt at the side. Xiang Zihui stopped his silly movements before leaning on his chair.

"Speak."

The shadow guard hesitantly glanced at the officers, they understood what he meant and immediately left the tent. "Young Miss Chulian and General Nian Feng are in Chen City."

A piercing sound of fragile shattering echoed, the shadow guard raised his head to observe his master's expression. It was ice cold, Xiang Zihui had no emotions on his face while gazing at his open hand. He was holding a jade cup of wine when the shadow guard told the report and he had unconsciously pulverized it. Some shards had cut into his palm and the bleeding worsened but he seemed numb from the pain. Xiang Zihui wordlessly waved his other hand for the shadow guard to leave as he wiped his hand.

"Husband and wife are meeting privately without my consent." he whispered on his own while wrapping his injured palm with a bandage. The previous emotionless purple eyes of him had a dim light of trouble.

Meanwhile, Yun Ren Xie is amused by the parade in the city. She stood on the side of the road as she watched the dragon dance.

"Ah Lian, here's a tanghulu." Nian Feng had just arrived after he bought the food Zhao Chulian mentioned him, there is a basket of rice ball in his grasp.

"Thanks! Feng gege, lets watch on top of that restaurant!" she pointed at the building nearby where there are open verandas, it is a good spot for watching entertainments.

He nodded gently and held Zhao Chulian's hand as they entered the restaurant, both of them settled at the darker part but with the help of red lamps, it still illuminated enough light. Nian Feng kept staring at her bemused face, there were endless smile and laugh from her. Zhao Chulian always had a carefree expression everywhere she go but only did he got reminder that she is also fragile from the night of Xiang Zihui's marriage. If only there is a way to secure her, to block all the pain and suffering from the world, then Nian Feng will do his best.

"Zhao Chulian."

"Yes?" she turned at him, her sweet smile lingering on her face.

"Nothing. Your name sounds beautiful." Nian Feng chuckled after he receive a 'humph' from her. It was true that Zhao Chulian had such meaningful name, Zhao means find and Chulian is first love. Such sweet name, found first love.

He suddenly felt something is off around them, Nian Feng's gaze wandered until he saw someone standing by the door behind them. Xiang Zihui had a calm face while looking at them, he lifted one of his finger to the side, gesturing Nian Feng to leave.

Yun Ren Xie had no clue, she had been chewing on the sweet tanghulu in her hands as she watched below. "Wow! Nian Feng, did you see that? The dragon leaped upward! Are those entertainer martial experts?"

"I saw it." a familiar voice answered, she froze in an instant. "So, Nian Feng is a good chat mate?" he stood beside Zhao Chulian while both his hands are clasped behind.

"Z-Zihui...." Yun Ren Xie staggered backwards, she didnt expect he'd know soon!

"Why did you run away?" Xiang Zihui asked in a grim tone, his gaze is sharp, not showing the slightest gentleness he used to.

"I..." she hesitated to answer when screams of pain engulfed her hearing. Both their gaze settled on the crowd below, the dragon is laying at the cold pavement while numerous people were murdered. Yun Ren Xie glanced upward, only to see Xiang Zihui rushing at her with a worried look.

Its already too late when someone knocked her unconscious but before she can even close her eyes, she heard Xiang Zihui calling for Zhao Chulian.

Nian Feng heard the shouts nearby, he stood up from the rooftiles as he leaped towards Zhao Chulian's place. To his surprise, numerous assassins emerged from the dragon puppet as they rushed at Xiang Zihui. There are no Zhao Chulian around!

He rushed at the balcony and sent out daggers flying towards the assassins. Nian Feng immediately helped Xiang Zihui in eliminating the enemy.

After the fight is finished, Xiang Zihui clenched his bloody fists. "That nephew of mine, he dared!" his fist punched the rosewood wall in anger.

"What happened?" Nian Feng approached him, his face is flustered.

"Ah Lian got caught by Xiang Se's dogs!"

Nian Feng staggered backwards, he wanted to go out and chase them but he had no idea where. "I'll go find Jiang Yi Huai." he said, Jiang Yi Huai is their other helpful friend. Other than being a divine doctor, he is also the base of their hidden army and thousands of shadow guards were trained by him.

Xiang Zihui suddenly chuckled with dark amusement. "Good. Xiang Se had deceived our spies on the South Border. Tell Jiang Yi Huai to come personally with hundred assassins in tow. I've made a plan."

"En." Nian Feng nodded, he knew how calculative Xiang Zihui is. Being with him for twelve years, Nian Feng had understood Xiang Zihui's unpredictable movements and underhand schemes.

He can only sigh in relief, Zhao Chulian will be fine. As long as Xiang Zihui is arrogant in his own ways, that Prince Xiang Se will fall easily in their own trap.